Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help for ICK(to quarantine or not?)

Hi everyone,

I have a 65 gal tank with a 30 gal sump. I have these fish:

2 percula clown
    2 green chromis
    1 six line wrasse
    1 heniochus acanturus

I have 9 hermit crabs

The tank is running since februrary.

A few days ago, I have seen that my heniochus had some spot looking like salt grain. (So propably ICK to me). I have treated it with a fresh bath with few drops of Quickcure(green malachite and formaldehyde, I know the stuff is dangerous...). After the that, the fish had no more symptoms of ICK.

But today I have noticed that almost all my fish have few withw dots on their tail and fins. They still eat very well, though.

So, should I just wait and see what will happen ? Could it help if I would use a diatom filter on my tank?

Anyone have tried the metronidazole and focus of seachem to treat their fish for ICK, it is supposed to be totally reef safe according to seachem...

I know the best would be to set up an hospital tank and treat them in it and let the ick die in my tank, but I don't have that kind of set-up... I have some equipment I could use for that, though:

1 CPR bak-pak skimmer
    1-2 fluval 303 canister filter
    1 150watts heater
    some power head

So, what would I have to buy to set-up the hospital tank?
    What size of container sould I use, according to the kind of fish I have?

Thank you very much everyone

Steve

Go get some cleaner shrim from Ivan (Aquaria). There are on special right now.
    Get two of them. Also start setting up a hospital just in case cleaners fail to eliminate ich. You need a tank, few PVC pipe pieces, Powerhead, heater...NO Carbon.

Cleaners are a good idea, but they will not eliminate ICH. The will make the fish feel better, if they're big enough to clean. Feeling better helps, but it doesn't cure you.

If you don't get them out of the tank and into a hospital tank, you risk loosing all of them. Leaving it up to them to get over it, in a closed environment like an aqurium is dicey.

Treating them greatly improves their odds.

Good luck!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

what size of tank would I need to use to quarantine all my fish at the same time?

I don't recongise the Heniochus acanturus, so I'm hesitant to make tank size recomendations.

AFAIK Heniochus are bannerfish / butterflies
    AcantHurus are tangs.

What's the common name of that fish?

Cheers!

My mistake... it is an heniochus acuminatus. It is the common heniochus.

But they don't seems to be that much affected by the ick... They don'T scratch themselves and they still eat a lot(like pig). Should I just let them fight it and give them a lot of food with garlic and stuff like that ?

Steve

Anyone have tried a diatom filter to help to get rid of ICK ?

A diatom filter will help, so will a UV filter. But there's so many of them when they're in the swimming stage that you won't get all of them. It's only going to take 1 to re-infest your tank again.

On the size of your QT tank, the bigger the better / less work you have to do. If it was just one fish you could get away with a 10G tank & lots of water changes. But since it's all of them I'm going to suggest a minimum of 30G with lots of water changes. That's a guess on my part, see if others have an opinion.

If you get them out & treat them, all you need to do is keep them out for 6 weeks and the ICH will be dead & gone. 100% of it.

QT everything after that before it goes into your tank for 6 weeks & you'll never get ICH again.

Good luck!

I am kind of affraid to set-up an hospital tank. I have the feeling that if I do so, I won't be able to maintain that tank properly and I will kill some if not all of them...

:crap:

Steve

I can understand that. The bigger the hospital tank, the easier it'll be to maintain, but the more expensive the set up. It's not a great trade off.

It's a game of probabilities. I can't tell you how it's going to work & what's going to happen. All I can say is it's most likely they'll get better with active treatment.

You have to make the decision, and I'm probably not making it any easier.

I hope it works out though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast