My Hippo Has Ich

As the title says, my two year old Hippo has come down with its first case of Ich. I would say that there are about 20 spots in total on a 5" fish.

Any chance that if I put my head in the sand for a few days it will clear itself? I thought not. Okay so what do I do now? Removal is not really an option as it is a big tank and he is a fast swimmer. He is still eating like a pig which is normal for him and I am soaking everything in Garlic Guard (PROBABLY PLACEBO). What are my chances? I would say it has been about 48 hours since I first noticed it and it has progressed in the past 24 hours. No other fish are showing any signs and the Hippo is not scratching or acting any different
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

ToX
    I left mine in and overfeed the tank for 3 weeks hope it helps...

Did it clear? That is my plan as well. God Bless Deltec Skimmers. My nephew swears by Coral Vital so I am going to give that a try as well.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

kat
    Sheldon, not that i have a lot of experience, but AFTER the yellow tang left QT it got ich(little brat) and on Gable and others advice I triple dosed the coral vital and it cleared VERY quickly. ALL in all, it will only be good for the tank.

Most tangs are prone to ich especially hippo's. I just came back from mexico and i was really surprised to notice so many tangs with ick, really fat and healthy tangs. I have a ptb, a hippo, and a yellow tang and they all had ick. It has been over a year since i have seen it.Most people say to QT, i have never done this but i can say that it's much easier to use simple methods. The method that worked for me was Baby vitamin called Pediavit. you can buy this at the pharmacy. I added 6-10 drops in the food every 2 days and it left after about 2 weeks. A cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse will work also.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

i just went through this i had 2 hippo's 3 inch and a 5 inch both had ich caught one and quartined him (3 inch) and couldnt catch the other one so left him in there. Treated the quatine with an all organic treatment for ich (Ich attack) and the little guy died the next day. the bigger one is fine now all signs of ich are gone

Now i dont know if the little guy was just not as healthy or what, but i think the stress of catching him was what did him in.
    Just my experience

It's possible that he can develop an immunity to the ich, but tangs are espically sensitive to it. The only proven method of curing him is to treat him with hyposalinity or copper. But since you've pretty much decided to leave him in the tank, I've had good results with Ruby Reef Kick-Ich.

It's supposed to be "reef safe" - cavet: I've never used it around inverts, I have no idea, YMMV, use with caution, don't feed after midnight, please don't annoy happy fun ball.

Best of luck!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Well believe it or not, 4 days after my initial panic attack ther is not a single spot on my Hippo Tang. I have been feeding the heck out of the tank since I first noticed it and have soaked everything including the Nori in Garlic Guard and have done nothing else.

I do not want to suggest that the Garlic Guard is the cure so please don't flame me. It was a bad case of ich in my opinion and I am glad he/she came through.

Hardware:

ToX
    the ich stops for a day or 2 after the first week only to come back stronger just to let you know

True that Tox.
    I just finish the whole ICK thing with my 2 tang(yellow and regal)2 clown,1 damsel and a Blenny.Only the tangs and damsel seem affected by it.I QT all the fish for 2 month(screwed up the 2 first week trying HYPOSALINITY)with a el cheapo refractometer.I ended up doing a total water change and use Cuppramine from Seachem.Like most says it work BEST(it did for me).I also learn that you have to leave the display tank "fallow" for 6 weeks(mine did 8).All fish are now back in display tank and are looking good.
    Sorry if i wrote long but if you do it right it will work.Any new fish you add should also be in QT for 4 weeks.
    Good luck!