Yellow Tang has a reddish hue?

I have just noticed that my Yellow Tang has a reddish hue to its body. It seems to be more to the back of the body but it is all over to a lesser degree. It has also made the horizontal curved line that follows the shape of the body near the top be much more noticeable. In fact, I have never really noticed the line before. The red looks as though it has been lightly dusted over the body. Any idea what this could be? and how to treat it?
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

if the fish doesn't look stressed it might just be a variation in colour depending on locality, but if u had a for a while, and what u mentioned about the lateral line worries me... then its probably lateral line disease.... can usually be treated by addition of vitamins to food i think? or is that HELE?

Smile

that my friend is a water quality issue, redsplotching with lines of red are bacterial issues in the tang. had ,been there.lots of info on RC about that

liv
    if you have the time, could you post a pic. i'd like to see how bad it looks.
    sounds like a bacterial infection to me.. ya, like johnny said.. i remember reading up on this a while back. my tangs never got this.. boost up their diet with selcon and garlic is always a good thing to do.. even if it might not fix this issue.

What are you feeding the tang & how often?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks for the answers guys. I will try and post a pic tonight after my sons soccer game. I don't know if the red will show up in a picture especially with the camera that I have.

I feed the tank once a day at around 8-9pm. I feed a small amount of flake (New Life Spectrum Optimum), then M.Y.S.I.S. shrimp and San Francisco brand brine shrimp mixed together. I also feed Purple Sea Veggies about once a week.

The only things that have changed recently is that I cleaned the MH bulb and I thought the reddish hue was due to the brighter light. Also, I had a flood a few weeks ago from excess water into the sump from my top-off and the salinity in the tank dropped to about 1.016 for about 48 hours while I slowly added salt. And I have just noticed that the RO/DI holding tank has a smell and debris at the bottom which can be stirred up with the circulation pump. I guess it needs to be cleaned out and washed before I make new saltwater for a water change.

I have had the Tang for almost three years and it seemed very healthy and happy at all times. It still seems that way in its actions, it just looks reddish.

If I search RC, what should I be looking for, Lateral Line Disease or Bacterial Infection or something else?
    Thanks again, Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

It's not lateral line disease. That's also known as HLLE (Head & Lateral Line Erosion). I've fought that battle..

JR's link is a good thread to have a look at. The only other thing I'd suggest is you might want to make nori available more often. The purple sea veggies are good, but tangs should be able to browse algae all day. Unless you have lots (of algea) growning in the tank for him, nori's pretty inexpensive & 1/8 sheet per day (per tang) or at least every other day will give him more of what he needs to eat.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.