Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Major Fish Losses, No Obvious Reasons

I got a call from my wife this morning informing me that there were some repid fish losses in my display. I have lost 3 Yellow Tangs and 1 Hippo Tang, along with a Royal Gramma and a Yellow Tail Damsel. I was three hours away and had a friend go over immediately to assess the damage and remove any bodies before they had a chance to foul the water. He was able to remove 2 all of the casualties except for the Yellow Tail Damsel and One of the Yellow Tangs. I was not able to locate their bodies myself. All of the Tangs were alive at 8:30am this morning and at 9:30 they were gone. I had my friend place the bodies in plastic bags and put them in the downstairs fridge until I got home. There is no sign of disease on any of the bodies of the Tangs. The Royal Gramma has a very thick layer of clear jelly completely encasing the body. When my friend pulled out the body he said the net was full of this thick jelly and it blocked the water from escaping from the net. I did a complete test of the water and there is no Amonia or Nitrates, Ph is at 8.1 which is normal for 1:00pm in the afternoon. Salinity is 1.025 via refractometer. I did a 25% water change just to be safe. I am guessing the the clean up crew have already done away with the other Yellow Tang and the Damsel. All of the Corals look greay and have full polyp extention. The Clams look great as will. The Hectoractis Magnifica looks a little off, but, hopefully the water change will help him come back tonight. I will be keeping a close eye on it over the next 24 hours. I do not have a cucumber in the tank or anything else for that matter that could be toxic. The Tangs are all inseperable so my theory is that thsy all had a go at the Jelly that was on the Gramma.

Any Theories or suggestions?
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

No theories on my side all I can say is I'm sorry... that really sucks!

Only thing I could think of... any major repairs being done to the house as in painting or cleaning of carpets? even then I wouldnt think it could wipe out things that quickly... but it's the only thing I can think of right now... again sorry

I hope your Magnifica pulls out of this ok!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

kat
    oh god...sheldon, that sucks...hope you find the cause

Quote Originally Posted by Carolpol
    No theories on my side all I can say is I'm sorry... that really sucks!

Only thing I could think of... any major repairs being done to the house as in painting or cleaning of carpets? even then I wouldnt think it could wipe out things that quickly... but it's the only thing I can think of right now... again sorry

I hope your Magnifica pulls out of this ok!

The Magnifica is my major concern right now. My friend told me that it was balled up in a feeding position when he got there. If there was something floating through the water it caught it and ate it. Hopefully it will purge. I have had that anenome for over three years now and it will be very hard to replace. No repairs or painting going on. No new additions in months, corals or fish. I am baffled about the Jelly blob.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Run some poly if you have it & check what colour it turns. Carbon won't hurt either & skim wetter for a couple days.

I have no idea what the jelly stuff might be

Good luck with it.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Here is my theory. I have a very large Faviate Brain Coral. I had moved it to the very end of the tank because it has very long sweeper tenticles and had stung a few heads of the Metallic Green Candy Cane colony. In the new location, the sweepers appear to have desintegrated a Orange ricordia colony that was at least six inches about the brain. There is hanging tissue at the base of the Ricordia that I just removed with a Turkey baister. This is the site where the Tangs were all huddled together this morning one hour before their death. There was a piece of tissue also stuck to the side of the Tunze stream on that side as well. If the tangs ate a piece of the floating Ricordia tissue that had been killed by the toxin of the brain coral's sweepers then that could have caused their rapid death. The Ritteri may have also gotton a piece of it as well as it was shot out of the Tunze stream. The Manderin would have had no interest in it so that is why he is still alive. Its a working theory anyway.

Hardware:

Sheldon,

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you figure it out for sure to avoid such from happening again.

Ray
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I would suggest to check for coper too.

Polyfilter turns colour based on what's in the water. Green means it's filtering out copper, I forget the colour for ammonia, and brown is just regular gunk.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

If it was coper, I would expect the inverts to go first.
    HermitCrab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast