Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member aquadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19

    Question My Puffer Died And Took His Take Mates With Him What Do I Do???

    :bawling: I came down this morning to turn on the lights and found my pour Puffer (Hoots) and all his other 9 tank mates dead.
    I was told that when Puffers die they release toxic poisons into the water. Hoot's hasnít been eating for 2 days and I have been trying to figure out why. But itís to late now, now I have to worry about getting the toxins out of the tank so I can get the live rock and the remaining survivors (anemone and colt coral) back into the tank. My question is what should I do with everything?

    P.S so far I have put new carbon bags into the filter and cleaned out the protein skimmer and did massive water change.

    :confused- I have a 20 gallon salt water tank running with 2 Ocellaris clown fish, 1 cleaner shrimp and a Bubble tip Anemone I want to know if it is safe to put the other anemone on the other side of the take until I fix the problem in the other tank? And I also donít know what to do with my Colt coral? :help:

  2. #2
    Senior Member yellowtang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    242

    very sorry.

    Very sorry to hear your lost.
    Last week I lost my Large yellowtang,medium hipo tang and my lawnmower blenni.......so indeed is sad you lost your fishies........
    do at least a 30% water change.
    And your anemones should be okay provided each one stays in its own corner.
    :confused- :confused-
    as far as your colt perhaps put it in the tank unless its a very large colt; then you would either sell it frag it or find a friend who will keep it for you while your tank restablishes again.
    IMO. :speedbana

  3. #3
    Junior Member aquadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19
    Is there anyway i can be sure my tank is safe to be replenished ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ricepicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,703
    what kinda puffer is this? he's in there with a anemone and colt coral?

  5. #5
    Senior Member yellowtang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    242
    the best you can do is do daily water changes......
    test parameters all of them.........If you can.
    keep your carbon pads for few days.
    how big is your tank by the way and how big was your puff?
    you might be okay.
    but MO that is.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    460
    I must have read it wrong....Did you have a puffer and 9 other tankmates in a 20?!!?
    Colt coral should be fine. You litterally have to beat it with a stick to do any harm.
    Do you not have a full spectrum test kit. If not get one. Test your water and then you'll know what needs to be done before returning any remaining livestock to your tank.
    Good luck
    Jason

  7. #7
    Junior Member aquadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19

    Question

    lol the tank size is a 90 gallon and the puffer was about 4 to 5 1/2 inches.

    Regarding the colt coral; it is currently not looking good. It is in a brand new ten gallon tank just by itself because. Because it stands about 7 inches tall and its attached to a piece of live rock that was in the tank that the puffer contaminated so I don't want to stick it in my 20 gallon just incase. The bad part is that the colt coral is attatched to 2 different parts of the rock and I am not sure how to detach it :confused- , I know the tickling method only works with anemones. Is there another way to get it off so i can stick it into my 20 gallon with out the rock? :help:

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    460
    It may seem archaic but you can tear it right off one or the other rock.If that seems a bit extreme then you can always just cut the base right off and glue it to whichever rock you prefer. But if its just cause your worried about toxins caught up in the rock, don't worry too much on that front. It probably doesn't look good due to being moved from one environment to another after being shocked in its permanenet home. You wouldn't be cheery either I'm sure. And for whats it's worth if its a sacrophyton, it's realeases all kinds of noxious toxins into your water itself. They are really very hardy and somewhat hard to kill.
    Jason

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    181
    if you wanted to sell an anemone, Im interested!
    I want a bigger tank! :biglaugh2

  10. #10
    Junior Member aquadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by WitnessToThis
    if you wanted to sell an anemone, Im interested!
    lol no sorry, I've already lost alot I would like to salvage as much as I can lol hyeah:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jumping puffer.
    By carrhd in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
  2. Any Puffer Owners Out There?
    By Nobez in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 12:57 AM
  3. Map puffer
    By shel in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 08:57 PM
  4. Puffer and friends
    By i2ik in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
  5. lighting died
    By nbreau in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •