Thread: Lymphocystis

Question Lymphocystis

I just lost a clown to Lymphocystis. I still have one in my aquarium with a cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp. My tests are all 0. How long should I wait to introduce a new fish? None of the other inhabitants are showing any visible sign of Lymphocystis.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I just lost a clown to Lymphocystis. I still have one in my aquarium with a cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp. My tests are all 0. How long should I wait to introduce a new fish? None of the other inhabitants are showing any visible sign of Lymphocystis.

Thanks
    Hmm, interesting, I too just lost a new clown that had lymphocystitis, the other one has it worse but seems to be getting better. There's a really good chance that lymph didn't kill your clown though, it's a virus that can weaken the host and allow for more serious diseases to set in easily although in my case I suspect the growths on it's gills played a big part. In any case the virus usually runs it's course in 4 weeks or so. So if that was the only fish that had it chances are in 4 weeks you should be ok to add new fish. Of course if you still have a fish that has it, like I have, then you'll need to wait for it to clear up and then wait about 4 weeks. The reason being that once it runs it's course, the cells fall off the body into the water and will potentially infect new hosts. As for treatment, there's little that can be done other than try to keep water quality up and the fish stress free, and make sure they're eating. Soaking food in garlic or vitamins seems to be working really for me with the second clown.

Good luck.

Thanx

Thank you. Hopefully this won't be a trend as my wife really wants 2 Clowns.