Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yellow Tang with Red Spots

Greetings:

The Yellow Tang we recently added to the tank has developed red marks on it. Google turned up the following thread comment:

septisemia 100%. cleaner water is a must. vitamins in the food. maracyn-two in the water. in 5 days it'll be gone

Does this sound right, and does the treatment seem accurate?.

The other tang in the same tank at the pet store had what looked like bloody streaks on it's lower fins.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 2.5

Haven't done other tests yet.

Didn't QT, I know, I know, not a good thing.

When I asked the lady about the red marks on the other Tang she told me it had scraped itself. I found out it died after I purchased this one :|
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

deffinantly sounds right for a bacterial infection, especially if the other one had bloody looking fins. Usually treated with an antibiotic

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...semtablets100s

I deffinantly wouldn't use it in your main tank though, antibiotics will by nature kill the good bacteria in your tank as well as the infection.
    120 gal reef-90 gal sump/refuge
    120 gal planted tropical
    120 gal planted catfish/arrowana tank

powder18

don't use any medication my advice to you just keep feeding it. by all means try to used those vitamins or etc... nori nori or flakes , maybe cyclopes i had problem same as you do. but i didn't used any medication my fish went well or try to separate it if you want to used a medication just incase to harm those tank mates. hope i help a bit:b2:

I took some pics last night. Will try and get them posted tonight.
    If it comes down to treatment using medication, I will put the hospital tank into production and house the tang there..

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerman View Post
    deffinantly sounds right for a bacterial infection, especially if the other one had bloody looking fins. Usually treated with an antibiotic
    i agree......

because it is an internal bacterial infection, it is best to treat with antibiotic like tetracycline in their food or as their food. AP ( Aquarium Products ) makes a line of medications called gel-tek that i have had success with in tank by target feeding the sick fish.

tetracycline

you may also need to run a disinfectant like acriflavine before treating the fish, to prevent reinfection.

acriflavine

i am all for not jumping on the medication bandwagon but without knowing how long the fish has been infected and the death of the other fish, i wouldn't think twice about treatment. both these medications can be administered directly in the tank, with caution.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I had the same thing occur on a yellow tang that I had in my tank for quite some time. I found the same thing about clean water, and too be honest I had been neglecting the tank. I couple of large water changes, cleaned my sump, skimmer, etc and it did clear up rather quickly and never returned. I beleive at the the time I also soaked the food in Selcon as well.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I'm pretty regular with the water changes and maintenance. Clean the skimmer every 5 days or so and replace the floss stuff I use to keep the bubbles coming out of the skimmer output down at the same time.
    One thing probably worth mentioning is that over the last week, scum formed on the surface of the tank, the day before yesterday, I placed an air tube (no stone) about 1" down in to the water next to the skimmer intake to break the surface tension of the water and clear the scum. It was almost completely gone by last night. I really don't see how this could have affected the tang though, pH and calc are all good. Nitrates were up a bit but nothing that would really cause much alarm?!
    Ticks me off.. grrr.. Now I have to go back the LFS and spend more money there to cure something that they sold me.. lovely. Do I have to worry about this bacterial infection affecting the other inhabitants of the tank?

the fish came to you with the infection, so your tank probably isn't to blame, so i wouldn't worry to much about the disinfectant. you can try feeding the fish good food ( ie. nori , garlic, selcon, zoe, etc ) to build his immune system but you may also want to consider target feeding the antibiotics. as for it spreading to the other fish, keep them well fed and the stress levels down, and time will tell.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks again a4twenty..

They eat very well. I have to refrain from overfeeding them!
    I will see if I can find antibiotics here that will suit hand feeding. Don't want to stress him out by moving him at all..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast