Dead fish / shrimp (2month old tank)

Hello,
    I'm pretty new to the whole marine fish. We got a new tang a a couple weeks ago and he died in a week of being in our tank. When he died he almost seemed paralyzed. Like he wanted to swim but couldn't. Still having some mobility, but not enough, and died that same day.

Within the last week, we also had both of our cleaner shrimp die too. The first shrimp we found in the pump, and the second shrimp we saw die. He started off by not being able to swim, and just laying on his back(with some movement) and he almost seem to die the same way as our fish, wanting to swim but not being able too. He would just get blown up and around by the pump.

I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be appriciated. We had the water tested, it seems perfect. We also have about 5 different corals that are doing great. Theres currently 2 clown fish and a bangai that seem to be doing just fine.

Thanks!

liv
    How did you acclimate them ?

usually the best method is dripping a line to them for about 1h or 2 and leaving the bag inside the tank or sump to warm up as well.

when you say you had it tested, by whom ? a store ? what did they test ?

was your tang eating at all, and if he was, what kind of food was he getting ?

also, what were the tang and shrimp species?
    some tangs do not fair well in our hobby and should be left either in the ocean or to more advanced aquarists with large dedicated setups

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

to Aquaria Canada

sorry to hear about the loss, are you sure the shrimp you removed were not just a molt??

as shrimp grow ( and other inverts with an exoskeleton ) they need to shed their exoskeleton, quite often a new reefer will see these molts in their tank and assume their shrimp died, only to see the shrimp re-appear after his new skin has toughened up.

can you list the test results??

you should really invest in some test kits, so you don't have to rely on the LFS to test your water.

also can you please tell us some more about your system ( size / #LR / equipment / etc.... ) and post a couple of pictures, sometimes we can see something that can be a problem that others may not.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I had my water tested by marinescape. Unfortunately I don't have the exact results. But they told me it was all good.

I may have not explained the whole situation properly. My shrimp I've had for atleast a month and a half. No, it was not a molt.

My fish that died I did climatize him as specified above, as I do for all my stuff that goes in my tank.

The one thing that I was mentioned was, my water may be too hot. My heater could not go any lower then we had it, but the thermometer said it was 80-82 most the time(I saw 83-84 somtimes) - I have since replaced the heater, I will see if i see any results.

I can post some pictures, but not right now. Thanks for all the responses!

Size : 30Gallon
    Live Rock : 30 pounds
    Corals : 5(they all seem to be doing good)
    Two 1200 pumps
    Lots of snails and crabs.

Well i don't know much but i do know you should not have a tang in a 30 gallon tank please don't buy another one and make him suffer like that they need a large tank

you have added quite a bit of livestock for a 2 month old 30G tank. i suspect your biological filter wasn't ready for that many fish and you had another cycle or spike that killed the fish / inverts. as pointed out above, tangs require a much larger tank for room to swim and feel safe. they're very skittish and stress easily, add that to a possible spike and there is a good chance that is why you lost the fish.

i suggest you get an NH3 ( ammonia ), NO2 ( nitrite ) and NO3 ( nitrate ) test kits ( as a minimum ) so you can monitor your water parameters at home.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery