Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

blue thoat trigger want to know if its reef safe or not?

hi folks, I've just got my blue throat trigger a week ago and apparently he doesn't come out often, always hiding behind my rocks. i dont have problem feeding him but the only problem right now is , i want to know if this fish also a reef safe or not? of what i'd read on liveaquaria its 50%50 , but i did research on net most of reef tank kept this fish some of them have a problem and some aren't. does anyone here in ottawa have this kind of fish in your tank. i want to know how's the temper. because mine i dont see him coming out a lot only when i feed him sure i can see him. one more thing to his tank mate its a purple tang:b2: i know you guys probably gonna tell me he's one of the reason why my trigger would even come out in his cave lol. yup he's a trouble maker in my tank right now. anyway any advice:b8:

could you please list your tank size. from what I understand you have a fairly small tank with a powderblue and achilles already which is NOT a good choice for your tank, and you bought them with ich. did they survive? and you have a purple tang! so I do take it the other tangs died.
    a trigger is not a good fish for your tank size. please research before buying.

liv
    Hey Peter!

the blue throat trigger is a semi aggressive fish.
    it eats meaty foods like fish, shrimp, scallops etc.. so usually will feed on mysis/mysid and the like.

As Johnny says, these fish get big.. real big.. and can cause havok on your tank.

Not knowing the size tank you got now, i'd steer clear unless you are willing to scoop him out of your tank within a year ( if you get him tiny ). He may become aggressive too if he's too crowded. I'ved wished for one for the longuest time... but since i'm going with a smaller tank.. i'll probebly never have one. they need tons of swimming room.. possibly more then tangs.

Oh.. and they are "usually" reef safe... they do devellop nasty habits of going into the sand to search for food.. so may make a storm out of your tank too.
    I here the pink trigger is "usually" reef safe as well.. but again. get huge.

Hope this helps.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I have a4" female, and she's a great addition to my tank. I aheva great deal of sps and she looks the other way. She does eat like a pig, and I feeed her often to make sure she doesn't go canibal on me. She is definitely the boss of the tank. She pushes around a large kole tang with ease. She alsostays in the open all the time. ALl the blue throats I have seen do this as well. So if yours is hiding it may be a bad sign. But then again maybe not. This is not a novice fish, and you should ask questions before buying, not after. Good luck to you.
    Jay

powder18

i've got my 65 gal right now. my blue throat its about 2" i'd just got this from Big Al's a few weeks ago. i know it will grow big i've been in SW hobby for 8 yrs and i know pretty much about the SW johnny i also thanks for your concerned. I'd just want to know about this fish i'd never had this kind of fish in my tank or any kind of trigger, i'd just read on internet only that this trigger could be a reef safe. with my 65gal i wouldnt bother getting or buying a big fish. besides its still small as far as i know. anyway thanks a lot for your help guys.:b16:

powder18

achilles died though didnt survive on my tank cause of ich. purple tang survive and im pretty sure his find eating well. i only ask for blue throut trigger not that i know about this fish. but before i took this out from store i've read manny times about this fish and i'd just want to know if anybody has a blue throat trigger in your system want to know or hear about any advice the temper for this fish. since i know now thanks a lot guys:b8:

sorry if this might upset you but with 8 years experience you should know that putting a powder blue and a achilles in a 65g tank with a purple tang is NOT good reef keeping. a 2 second google or question here would tell you that the MINIMUM sized tank for any of those powders is at least a 180g IMO
    achilles are not for the inexperienced and 2 little powerheads don't cut it.
    they ride the surf. plus those 2 fish regardless of size would end up killing each other. I'd like to know who sold you those two fish and did they know you had a 65g.
    please, take back the trigger or sell it. it does not belong in that tank.

Hey Powder18, I have a male and female in my tank with wide verity of SPS,LPS….. they don’t even look at my corals:b3:, but again every fish is different you might get one that is going to be the odd ball…LOL:b2: I have pink tail Trigger and purple Tang and also clown Tang all housed together with no issue.
    Now you’re concern about his hiding behavior ….mine have there own area and mostly they don’t swim together unless is feeding time. Now if your purple Tang is dominating over him he will refuse to come out until P Tang gets use to him……time will tell, but unfortunately it might cause him to perish……
    :b8:

Powder18

I only have purple tang a tiny one and blue throat where did you hear that I have a powder blue wow man relax this is my money ok besides all I care is advice not that I know trying to get me wrong here look I'm not gonna argue with you atleast better than 500gal lost a lot of livestock LOL man take easy there. I read all your threads man so can't hide any of it. By the it's just my name powder18 I don't have a powderblue LOL p

Powder18

Come on johnny man easy there man no hate I wouldn't buy this fish if it's not a small size I' ve got 100 gal in my basement still waiting to fully recycle no need to worry like I said 8yrs in hobby I should one better than this now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast