Sick clown - how to euthanize

I get attached to fish. One of our occelaris has had popeye for over a month and a half. Extra water changes seems to be doing nothing for him. He wouldn't eat the medicated gelfood.

He has been eating and swimming well except for not being out and about very much. Mainly staying under the rock cove.

Today he is listing in the tank and having difficulty swimming. I put him in a breeding trap and she's swimming upright now and ate a flake of food.

My husband wants me to euthanize him. I have finquel and hope it works the same way as freshwater fish. I can't find anything on this so far.

Is there anything else I can try for him? I dont have a cycled qt tank. I have a ton of extra bare tanks 10G and 20Gs. No extra live rock.

The cleaner shrimp has molted a couple times since his popeye showed up and he is doing fine.

I have a blenny that has had popeye for over a year. Just recently it swelled up really huge and a few days later it's like it came off or something, cause now it just looks more like he's just missing an eyeball. It was really only for one day or two when it swelled up really big that he looked and acted really sick. Other then that, it never really seemed to bother him. He'd eat and act normal, ofcourse he'd always have his head turned and looking at me with his good eye. I guess it all depends on how, or what caused it to happen. I've heard it can be caused by an accident that made it get infected, or a viral issue. It's definitely not something that has spread to my other 8 fish. I'd keep an "eye" on him and see if he/she recovers if medication won't work. I wouldn't bother quarantining it. The stress could make things worse, but that's just my opinion.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Thanks - I wish could have lived with it. I have no idea of the cause. I euthanized him *cry*. He was beyond recovery and looked to be suffering. The advice I was given really was make sure the water is perfect. One store recommended melafix but I didn't risk that. I wish I had a qt tank to put her in to medicate with antibiotics.

He seemed to be doing fine - like your fish, eating well, just hiding until today - he really went downhill fast. I wonder if adding the emerald crabs added something else she had to fight off.

If anyone searches for euthanasia, finquel worked. He went peacefully.

Dumb question - but I know with freshwater, some fish are social. Will the female need company? I wouldn't even think of adding a fish for a while, until I'm sure everything is okay with the tank.

Thank you.

sorry, to hear. :b8:

Quote Originally Posted by klkelly View Post
    Will the female need company?
    she'll be fine on her own. when you decide to get another clown, make sure to grab the smallest one you can ( a juvenile ) to avoid the fighting of two females.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Sorry for the loss.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse