Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Tang :(

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

liv
    how long have you had him ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

At least 6 months...
    Were you able to see the white spots and rapid breathing in the video?

Copy from the post on my site:
    Losing mass, rapid breathing and white patches, one side whiter than the other. He gets two little fishes red seaweed, nori, mysis flakes, garlic. Usually every other day. He used to eat like a pig, now he's just not interested at all.
    Tank params are fine although the local store ran out of IO salt and we had to get and use Reef Salt.
    The aiptasia is greatly reduced and under control, still working away on it. There's only about 5 of the suckers left now. Cyano and GHA have made an minor appearance recently which is why I'm only feeding every other day now. Did a water change and thorough cleaning of the skimmer, dunno what else I can do.

liv
    sometimes they are bad from the get go... depends how they were caught.. sadly tons of people still use sodium cyanide solutions.

Went and spent way too much money on a variety of food and vitamins ($150!) but the little bugger is eating, not 'panting' as hard anymore and his colour is returning. I noticed he also had red inside his mouth but did not see any red marks on him to suggest a bacterial infection.
    Picked up and started adding Seachem Reef Plus as well.

liv
    Glad to see it seems to be doing better !
    also glad to see that you are trying your best to help him!

Cheers!

usually 'panting' is a sign of ammonia, how old is our test kit??

hope he's still feeling better, feeding is always more positive.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Have two test kits, both show ammonia - 0
    He's getting better by the day, have my fingers crossed for him. I will never buy another yellow tang, no matter how pretty they are!
    Everyone else is doing great, including the GHA, Cyano, Aiptasia is still on the decline, I think the peppermint shrimp have been busy.
    All the algae is growing on the rocks I bought with a set up last year, they had been cooking for a while without light or food but I guess it wasn't long enough (6 months??). The tank I bought had crashed and there was tonnes of algae in there, but the deal was too good to pass up and I was willing to take the risk.

powder18

yellow tang supposed to be hardy or they say this is known as a" damsel tang" its good for a novice hobby for sw. i had a problem same as before when i bought this tang from one of our local lps here in ottawa the fish seems its doing find eating for first few weeks all sudden just weakining loosing appetitet and i checked my water everything is find most of my tangs are doing ok normal eating well, actually i sold everything from liv most of my tang liv could also tell how my fish are very healthy when he took it from my tank a while ago. this yellow tang i noticed its just stop eating and i don't see any ich sign could give me a hint to know what's wrong with it. but i read on reefcentral same problem that i had before, they were saying it could been a worm that fish has it and they found out its a worm. i don't know exactly what they were talking about it on the threads but im pretty sure they say this worm inside of yellow tang stomach that it cause this fish to loose appeteti and slowly dying exactly what happened to my yellow tang. give more vitamins or feed them a nori nori would help a bit to come back i guess.

powder18

yellow tang now is 69 bucks wooooooooo darn last time it was only 39$ and now the price of sw fish had gone way too expensive thank god more special deal every week:b2:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast