Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Sick Achilles Tang?

I have a 3" Achilles Tang that I have had for over 2 months and has been healthy and eating well. He is very active and swims all over the tank. This morning I noticed that both his eyes are glazed and his left eye has like a very thin white covering that is protruding a little bit. He still has great appetite, eats well and still very active. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be so I could treat it properly? I want to treat it before it starts to affect him but I can't give him the proper treatment if I don't know what it is. Tank parameters are bang on. PH 8.2, SG 1.025 Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 5, Temp 78 F. All food being fed to the fish are always soaked in Garlic extract. Flakes at noon and Frozen Brine Shrimp & PE Mysis at night. There are no fish picking on him because he is the king of the tank.

tank size and flow info please would help? other fish as well.
    ACHILLES being pretty much the hardest tang to keep alive.
    needs insane radom flow,large tank 180g and up to truly be happy and pristine water conditions.

i agree, more info please, and post a pic or two if you can.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    i've seen this desease on some of my old tangs in my old tank.
    agree with the above, quite the hard tang to keep ( to keep happy that is )
    they are stressed quite easily and they love super strong flow, I remember seeing some directly in the powerheads current making swirls around the flow.
    they need low stress tanks with high currents to be playful/happy

what other tangs or large fish do you have in there ? one of them might be bugging him.. and it doesn't have to be direct attacks, he could just be the same color or of a similar shape to make the achilles unhappy etc.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Question Sick Achilles Tang

john rock; a4twenty; liv

Tank is 6' x 2' x 2' 180 G, 65 G Sump, Closed Loop w/ Reeflo Dart, Iwaki MD55 Return Pump, 2 x Korallia 3 Powerheads. The only other fish in with him is a 2 1/2" Chevron Tang, 2 1/2" Goldflake Angel, a 1 1/2" Flame Hawk and a 2" pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. Tank has about 80 corals and 300+ lbs. of LR. Hope this helps.

setup sounds good. did you QT' the achilles? he might be starting an ich bought. sometimes the ich cysts can attach to the eye and thats the affect your witnessing. feed him good and soak food in selcon and garlic if your not already. not much else I can tell ya. it might be ich and probaly is.

liv
    wow.. great setup bud.. he should be good.
    he's probebly stressed from other fish.. lol.. like i said before. they stress quite easily. feed him well.. and if its just ick, he'll pull through. specially if he's still feeding. whats your temp like ? having the temp lower means ick stays longer, having it up, means ick grows to maturity and eventually goes away faster.

Question Sick Achilles Tang

john rock

All their food is always soaked in garlic extract. So you think it's just Ick?

liv,

Tank is steady at 78-79 F because of the 1/2 HP Chiller.

I still have enough Ich medicine for one treatment cycle from No Sick Fish. It has always worked great for me but I just don't like the idea of shutting off my Skimmer, UV and Carbon and Phosban Reactors for a week. I was thinking of utilizing Ozone with an ROP controller. Is this a good idea? Am I going to get good results with it? Thanks for the quick response guys. Much appreciated.

I don't know much about an achilles tang, but I do know they like to eat. Do you have a clip in your tank with nori? Maybe he'll be happier nibbling at it throughout the day. I sure know my regal tang loves it. How about also adding cyclopeeze to the diet? I'd probably start cutting down on the brine shrimp since it doesn't have much nutritional value.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    the ozone and controller are a good bet.. but will make your skimmer go crazy.. specially the first time you run it.. but man will your water get clear. you think its clear now!.. wait til u run ozone !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast