is copper safe for engineer gobies?

Hi,
    I'm getting ready to put my 2 Saddlebacks and Yellow Watchman into QT for Cupramine Ich treatment. Is it safe to treat my Engineer gobies as well? They are a different type of fish with no scales. I'm going to leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks, and I'm wondering if I should put the gobies in a seperate QT. If I do this, is there a chance of them carrying Ich back into the display in their gills when the 8 weeks is up?
    Thanks,

Gord

liv
    scaless fish are more prone to react to treatments like these.. and usually not recommended. Is he sick ? ick will always come back. Id be surprised if he had ick in the first place.

You got to find the reason why the ick is coming in the first place. Stress ( tank mates, lack of sleep, junk food, lighting, enviroment etc ) are all factors that can cause an ick outbreak.

I wouldn't threat a healthy fish for ick.. he can deal with it on its own provided a good enviroment for him to live in..
    ...unless of course it was a desperate attempt to save him.

start making your own food.. follow my recipes in the diy section or make your own.. add good ingredients only and your fish will be happy.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Powder18

You got that right liv it always there in your tank, ich sometimes also can cause of high salinity and very acidic water this are also the reason of all. Sometimes it can be over feeding too. I used Kent garlic to soak the brine shrimp before I feed to my fish. Bad water too from top water system a lots of cholorine too could lead to some sort of desieces as well.

Thanks guys,
    The reason I'm treating for Ich is that recently I've lost 2 Naso Tangs in a row to it. They were both new additions and seemingly healthy after being in the store's medicated tanks for 3 weeks.. I've concluded that the new fish were stressed, and not being fed properly (I'll check out your recipes Liv), in addition to having high salinity due to a crappy hydrometer. Now my Clowns are showing spots, but the yellow watchman and 3 engineer gobies aren't. I know my tank already had Ich present to start, and I've decided to remove all the fish and let it run fallow for 6-8 weeks to rid the display tank of Ich. This will help with some algae too. While the fish are in their QT, I'll be treating them with Cupramine. I know the clowns need it, and the watchman is probably carrying some parasites in his gills, even if there are no spots on him. I'll put the engineers in their own QT and just observe them for the duration. Now the only questions are whether the engineers are really Ich free, or just carrying? If they are carrying, will the 6-8 week QT in their own tank result in the Ich dying off? Should I treat the watchman with the clowns in copper or with the engineers? Can the engineers handle hyposalinity (1.010) for 4 weeks? This is all very confusing and frustrating. I've been reefkeeping for about 7 years, and never had to deal with this before. I'm going to all this trouble this time because I plan to add more tangs, (it's a 6 ft 135 gal reef with 60 gal sump )maybe even a powder blue (Ich magnet), so I want have an Ich free environment for them.
    Let me know what you think, I appreciate all opinions.
    Thanks,

Gord

liv
    I wouldn't be surprised if your naso's died of another problem.. probebly being poisonned when caught ( cyanide sulphates ). clowns very rarely catch ick. they are almost immune to it. I believe it has to do with that special coating they have on, same with the scaless fish.

Salinity and temp will dictate the lifespan of the ick.
    low temp slows down their metabolism, high temp, means they live and die faster.

hyposalinity may help rid of the pest on the fish, but is not a 100% remedy, unless you find the root cause of the prob, ick will come back.

i'm thinking your othey fish may carry the bacteria as well as anything that can sustain ick in your tank. dont forget it can stay dormant and/or unseen on fish for months.

I add garlic in my food and I believe does help.. I press it fresh, and put tons of it, it sticks up the entire house even with the fans on he he.
    There is not much scientific research done on that ( it hasn't been proven ) for fish use yet, but the main active ingredient ( allicin ) is a very potent and proven medical properties that does make miracles in humans, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have the same identical effect on other life forms. it makes sence to me anyway

try my recipe bud, give it a few weeks, you will be hooked on diy food I sware... you control the quality, you know what your fish need, you adapt your recipe to your fish needs.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

powder18

i have been told one of the guy at mscape running a phostpate reactors will help the immue system of all your inverts and fish too. i'd lost one of my sand sip goby today maybe luck of nutrients on my sand bed, majestic got eaten by purple lta. so far i've lost 2 fishes now, i see a sign that im getting ich in my tank i haven't found the other goby that died today, the spike of cyno slowly spreading on my rocks. the orchid dottyback had some sort of white spot on its body and i see already rubbing its face on the LR's:b8:. right now im doing a water change, kinda sad when you loose one of your fish just dont even know what to do first. the next thing you know the other fish got infected that sucks though. some of the fish from store its already have a ich, i read some articles from reef central one of the guy was telling about buying fish from our local store should really be carefull of what your buying. i learned from him by dipping your fish to r/o water without salt just a regular r/o water for a few seconds just to clean all the body of fish, and im sure fish will be okey just a bit stress though. but we always do this kinda tactic adding new fish in your tank you should have to turn of your light just to minimize the stress of your fish. so that's what i do dip the fish to fresh water r/o just in a seconds then transfer to my QT it helps too. i've been doing this for the last 3 years i guess. but its not 100% though you know still help a bit, maybe you guys know what im talking about this tread was in RC a couple years ago. well liv you can tell how my fish are really healthy, most of your fish from your 400gal those are my fish before. i just thought i might share my eperience on how i handle my tank, im not that good or expert but i can assure to myself loosing one fish or another man makes you really think what to do to avoid of loosing another fish:b16: