Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ich problems

Ich problems

Hello, my foxface has ich white spots all over him I did add a cleaner shrimp, and the foxface couldn't be less interested.
    So now I'm wondering if I should try fresh water I hate using medication in my tank, it's not really and option... Just wondering what to do for a fresh dip : > sounds fun

Thanks

Todd

FWD isn't recommended..............

how many fish do you have?

do you have inverts??

do you have a QT??

what do you feed?

tell us a little more about your situation / system and we may be able to come up with a better solution. personally the only thing i would recommend is hyposalinity but this may not be possible.......

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ok so hes in a 65 gal tank, hes eating some formula one mixed with brine mysis, marine cuisine. my salinity i keep at 1.024 and i have now brought it down to 1.020 ish and slowly bringing it lower.
    i have 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 blue green cromis and little foxy. it's going to be a reef tank, so i have a few button polyips, and some other misc corals that i had from another tank. probably about 50lbs of live rock, planning on putting more, he seems to be grazing on stuff algea growing on the rocks.

i dont know if this is enough info thanks for all your help

you can't do hyposalinty on a tank with inverts or corals and you may even run into problems lowering your salinity to 1.020 ( inverts like 1.024 - 1.026 ). could you move the corals and inverts???

the ich can live on for a long time on the rock and substrate so to properly treat the tank you would need to place the fish in hyposalinty ( sg 1.009 ) and leave the tank fishless or 8 weeks or remove the inverts an corals and lower the entire tank for 8 weeks, then slowly bring the SG back up.

also switch from brine shrimp to mysis and start to include garlic in the fishes diet. it's best to squish it fresh yourself but they also make supplements. garlic helps to strengthen the immune system and works great as a preventative as well as help the fish kick the ich.

i know this sounds like a long process but it's the safest method of removing ich from a tank while insuring you can still keep a reef in the future. ( no copper !! )

HTH
    `

My Gallery

Yah a long process for an impatient guy haha. I do have a 30 gal I could use for the fish and corals, it was my old tank I have some substrate in there the same stuff I have in my big tank probably has just as much ich in there as it too.
    I was planning to put sea horses and pipe fish in it so I have been fillig it slowly with water change, one small power head for now.. I'm going to get the garlic for sure. I have learned from friend experience not to treat with copper!!! I won't even Look at it in the stores haha.

How long can this stuff live for? Do you think my cleaner shrimp would get them?

What's a QT btw?

a QT is a quarantine tank, usually used to house new livestock before introducing them to your system. this is how we prevent diseases from getting into an established reef system, it's also used in situations like this.

ich can / will survive in a fishless system for ~ 6 weeks, that is why the treatment is for 8 weeks. no i don't think the cleaner shrimp will take care of the problem.

i would use the 30G to house the inverts and corals and maintain a SG of 1.024 - 1.026. leave the fish in your tank and lower the SG to 1.009 over a couple of days ( to reduce stress ). the easiest way to do this is with small water changes, using RODI as the replacement water rather than NSW. maintain a SG of 1.009 for 8 weeks then very slowly raise the SG back to 1.024 - 1.026. you should always go up much slower than down, about .001 point a day to prevent osmotic shock.

the reason i say to lose the brine shrimp is that they're empty calories unlike the high protein mysis shrimp. mysis is like eating a nice high protein meal while brine is like eating fast food. you don't need to throw it away but feed it less often while replacing the other meals with mysis.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

WOULDN'T HYPO in his display tank kill his liverock and sand bed. all his filtration will be destroyed?

liv
    agree with Chunky..
    remove the sick individual.. treat him in a makeshift tank/container with either medicine or hyposalinity etc.

wouldn't nuke a tank personally.

also, ick will ocur naturally and will come back if the fish is stressed.
    so take a look at the fish's enviroment, if its being bugged or picked on constantly or even occasionally, thats what you gotta fix too.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ok so i'm not going to be doing lower my salinity in my display i'll just let it chill for a while, i havnt added anything else in there, so now it's just a cleaner shrimp, and one chromis. i think because the chromis was one of the first fish i added he might have been stressing the foxface out. i thought it would have been ok because he was so much bigger.
    i do have some bad news tho. the foxface has passed his eyes were clowdy, ich all over poor little guy. also the supplyer i bought him off of wasnt the most renound, so that might have had a part in it too.

now i'm wondering, i know the chromis is in the damsel family do you think i should remove him too? i was thinking about adding a few more so they could school a little, maybe having six in there. would this be a problem for future fish that i add. the one i have now is pretty aggressive, i see him even pushing the shrimp around.

i set up a little 30 gal QT under my display, so now any sickies are gunna be going in there, i was always a bit leary of QT because i always thought it would stress the fish out more from going through 2 acclimations rather than just 1.
    i find it strange im able to keep inverts perfectly fine but not fish. also i have two zenia in there too and their floorishing.

thanks for the help

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast