Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy my maroon clownfish died....

my big maroon clown died today.. it was a bit of a shock, since he's been such a robust, healthy fish. I've been checking water params & the only thing that I can blame on his sudden death is a couple of days ago we had a power outage during a storm, just enough to shut down the tank, it came back on in a few mins, but all the fish were acting strangely. My JBJ powerhead was overheated & was giving off a weird noise, so I took it out immediately--it was fried, from what I assume was the flucuating currents from the power outage. There might have even been feed back from lighting, but I've got everything connected to heavy duty surge suppessors. ANYWAY! Yesterday my clown stopped eating.. today he looked awful, his mucus was shedding, and he was obviously struggling. it broke my heart!:bawling: he's gone, and the rest of my fish are looking not great. I don't know what to do for them though. Looks pretty grim right now.:bawling:
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

IMO a water change to be on the safe side. Sorry about the clown fish. That sucks.

Oh Coral, so sorry to hear this. It's awful to lose a fish, especially one you've had for a while. You must be very stressed for your others. If you're sure you've removed the only source of leaking electricity there's probably not much you can do now but wait and hope for the best. A water change might help as cman mentioned.

Do you use GFCI plugs?
    Susan

Are you sure there's enough oxygen in the water? Do they look like their breathing is laboured? What water tests did you do? I don't think something that happened for a few minutes a few days ago would do this........

I'm sorry btw I can imagine you're very upset.

The water change might help, if there is anything in the water. All the fish could have gotten a jolt due to the equipment failure/lightning. Power surgers work but there is a delay before they kick in (it takes a second or so for the surger to detect the rising voltage and respond to it). How fast it responds depends upon the quality of the surge protector.

It's hard to loose a fish and to sit back and hope the others make it. I feel for you.

Vickie

thanks so much for the very kind words.. I really appreciate it. I was very upset to lose my clown, he was my favourite. Such a character! I'm thinking a bit more clearly (I hope!) today.
    The day the outage happened all the fish disappeared into caves & didn't come out, initially I thought it was just from the lights going out, and currents stopping so quickly. THen I was distracted by the powerhead overheating... my clown, coral beauty, came out after a bit, but my anthias stayed hiding the rest of the day.
    The next day I noticed my clown didn't eat, which made me concerned, cuz he ALWAYS eats! I did the usual water changes & tests.. nitrates, amm, ph
    I went to the LFS and got a new powerhead, (Maxi jet) I was very very shocked to see the rapid decline in my clown fish, he looked awful! I should have taken a pic I guess, but it was very upsetting to see him like that. His eyes were cloudly, shedding alot of mucus, breathing very rapidly & he was in distress. I forgot to mention I moved him to QT, hoping to help him, but I think it was a bad move(?) he died within a few hours of the move.
    Today my anthias & coral beauty are looking the same way: cloudly eyes, ragged fins, shedding skin.... my anthias has blood in his fins, maybe the clown did too, but since he had dark colouring it was hard to see it. (anthias has white fins.) I feel pretty helpless, since whatever is happening, it's happening fast, and I don't think I can save them.
    strange thing is the corals I have seem fine.. I've got zoos, candy cane, mushrooms, a bubble, and a brain that all seem ok. Maybe a bit smaller then usual, but ok.... I hope.
    Thanks again for the support & advice I really do appreciate it. It's good to have a place to try to sort out my thoughts & gather info. :group:
    Vicki.. good point about the surge protector..they are 'heavy duty' but not that expensive, maybe not good enough. I didn't realize there might be a delay in the protection.. makes sense though.
    Flame Angel: another great point.. dang no the plugs aren't GFCI .. only have those in the bathroom. That's a very good idea too. I should have thought of it.
    I'm also going to go out to Canadian Tire to buy one of those mini generators.. just in case we have a power outage in the summer, that lasts awhile like last summer.
    Thanks again, you've all had great ideas that I hadn't thought of.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I could be wrong but it sounds like amyloodiniosis. Have you introduced any new fish lately?

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...loodinium.html

And
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...klynella+signs

Just for some other references

Thanks Cake.. the newest addtions were the bubble coral & brain. Can they host parasites? I got them two weeks ago.
    I got a pic of my anthia.. from the description of the link you gave me it does look like it could be parasitic. I've been trying to figure this out.. its been not easy.

mmmmm, very sad and perplexing. not sure if JBJ's can leach anything if they seize and fry which sounds like that happened.
    water change for sure.are you absolutely sure everything was fine before the powerhead fry'd? reason I ask is that little 2 minute outage wouldn't have done anything except for the possible leaching. was the power head cracked or damaged?

Coral - one other quick point. My sister told me that her computer was on a surge protector. When I looked into it, I found that she was using a power bar and THOUGHT it also was a surge protector. A power bar is basically just an extrension cord. Just make sure what you have is a surge protector - the good ones will tell you how many jules (sp) they are rated for. Obviously the higher the jules the more protection. Lower jules means that a jolt of high enough force could still reach the tank.

Maybe someone in the field can explain this better than I did.

Vickie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast