Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ich

Ich

Hello, Got a quick question about Ich. Actually i'm open to sugestions. I have a Blue Regal Tang and I think he has Ich. I was talking to some people back home and they told me to try to treat it naturally first before you put any chemicals in the tank. He told me to put the heat up to about 85 and wait it out. He said it would take a couple of days for it to do it's thing and sure enough he was right.( All the same my cleaner shrimp was on him nonstop like a fat kid on smarties). Just to be on the safe side, I wanted to put some product in there to make sure it's gone. He told me about a product called Greenex. He said he uses it on all his tanks with no side effects. I tried this product once before and had sucess but then I never had any corals or my little Cleaner Shrimp. I don't want to throw this in there and kill all my stuff. Any sugestions would be a great help.

Cheers,
    Mike

PS: I also read somewhere on the internet that this stuff does a number on Blue Legged Hermit Crabs.???????

isnt green x for algea and phosphate removal?Are you thinkiing about putting meds in your main tank?If you have a fish only tank you could use the hyposalinity method.Try to use a quarantine.I think that if you bring up the temp to that temp. first i dont think its good for the fish and second that could worsen your ich problem....but thats only what i think
    Derik...

Don't put GREENX in your tank. First off it will stain all the silicone seals. Second .. if there is any natural substances in your tank like coral sand, reg sand, rock etc .. you will never be able to manage the dose because these substances will absorb the medication. If GREENX is to be used it is to be used in a bare bottom hospital tank. It also dose not work well in the salt water tank like it dose in fresh water tanks.
    Rob

Also .. IMO ... If your cleaner shrimp is doing a good job .. so be it and let things be. There's not much that works better then a busy cleaner shrimp.
    Rob

Awesome Thank alot everyone. I actually do have a hospital tank set up but it kind of turned into the tank that is home to all of the fish that you can't put in with corals like damsels.(My biggest mistake lack of research) I also have a Sebae clown in there because he kept trying to nip the fins off of my Maroon Clown. It's to bad too beacuse he is such an awesome looking fish !!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I've also noticed that it seems that the regal tang can't close his mouth. What could have caused this?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

could be locked jaw.From what i heard you cant do anything about but let nature tale its course,it might unlock by itself.Maybe somebody here has already been through this...hopefully they can share their experience.
    Derik...

i have the same prob with same fish just feed him mix food with selcon,extreme garlic if you have frozen mysis or frozen cycloop ezze.it will go away slowly dont stress the fish or it will never heal properly.
    the garlic will fortify him.good luck.these fish will always get ich unless you take all fish out of tank for about 8 weeks.too long.

I would do a hyposalinity method.Do you have a refractometer.....check this link he helped me alot and is very knowlagable......
    http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
    Derik...

otherwise if its in your main tank your could have that problem for a long,long,long,long time.....those tangs are more prone to ick too
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast