Angry Powder Blue with Ick

I just added a large powder blue tang and 2 other fish to my reef tank. I had them in quarantine for 2 days, but the ammonia in the QT started to spike. It was a brand new setup, and couldn't handle the bio-load. The fish looked clean and healthy, so I decided to risk it and move the fish to the display tank. BAD MOVE!! The powder blue has just displayed some ICK on him. The other fish still look clean. My problem is the QT is still full of ammonia. What should I do now?? Massive water change to the QT and treat the powder blue with copper? Fresh water bath? I've seen fish in reef tanks with ICK before and some people just say lets wait until it goes away.... I don't believe this. Can anyone suggest the best approach please.

Waiting in desparation for a reply.
    Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary and welcome to ACs board. Tangs as a rule are tough to treat for ICK because of their HEAVY slime coat so it is best done in your BARE BOTTOM QT tank. Copper is the right method of treatment but MUST be used with care. Follow the instructions on the product very closely.
    Mix up a batch of new salt water for your display tank and change the QT water as needed with water from your display tank. Use the newly mixed water to top up the display tank. This way the water in the QT is pretty much the same as what the fish is in now and water changes on the display tank are always a bonus. when you do your water changes to the QT be sure to be very accurate with the measurements and add the copper to the water before it is added to the QT. It is a good Idea to make so marks on your QT to indicate gallonage, this will make water changes in that QT a breeze. The formula for gallonage is .. length X width X depth divided by 231. All are in inside dimensions and figured in inches. I would strongly suggest you get a copper test kit that is the correct type for the type of copper you are using. Because this is a tang you will want to keep him in that QT somewhat longer then would be the case for normal scaled fish. Be sure to give the fish a place to hide in this tank and keep the light low. Feed sparingly to control ammonia.Please keep us posted and keep an eye on the other fish for signs of ICK.
    Rob

Powder Blue with ICK

Thanks for the prompt reply SAlty Dog....I'm on my my to do as you suggested.

Thanks again,
    Gary