Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Coral Beaut has bad ick...need help

Well as it says...my coral beauty has ick pretty bad. I have a cleaner shirmp in there, also i have turned up the temp to 82. is there anything else i can do? how do you treat with garlic? I thought that helps......

please help!

How bad is BAD? How do the other fish in the tank look?
    Rob

the chromis look fine. i dont have a hospital tank...so taking him out is not an option. he has quite a bit on him...ive seen worse before...but its certianly not great... any suggestions?

If he is VERY heavily infested you will not want to be doing fresh water dips unless it is a last ditch effort to save the fish. Fresh water dips work by imploding the parasites and if the gills are heavily infested dipping can do more damage then good. If the cleaner is doing a good job and the fish is healthy and feeding it may be OK. I guess being that you have on QT there is not much you can do but hope for the best.
    Rob

what about the garlic thing....does that work?

I will get feed back for this but there is no proof that it has any effect on "external" parasites. Good quality food however is required at all times. How many cleaners you got in the tank?
    Rob

just one....he is cleaning him... and does so on a reg basis

OK wouldn't hurt to have a few in there... Maybe add 1 more. ALL 9 of my fish has a pretty bad case of ICK and I put in 4 cleaners and they did a great job along with the help of a UV unit. I hope your coral Beauty makes it.
    Rob

I don't know if garlic actually helps the fish, but it makes the aquarist feel better, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Garlic won't treat ich. It's only a preventative measure.

The only true way of curing ich is in a hospital tank.

The best way while using a hospital tank is to maintain a normal temperature, say 78-80 degrees, and gradually reduce the specific gravity to 1.009 over the course of 48 hours. This is called Hyposalinity treatment. Ich cannot survive at this specific gravity, and will die off. The fish will then have to remain at this SG for the course of 3 weeks. During the last week, you slowly bring the salinity back up to 1.025 and then you can re-introduce him into your tank.

Points of note:
    - It is not only important, but necessary to use a refractometer or salinity meter when going down to 1.009 sg.
    - It is also important to make sure that the SG does not climb and remains stable for the couse of 3 weeks.
    - Bringing the SG back to normal levels is much slower than going down to 1.009, and should be done over the course of 7 days.
    - Use PVC fittings and/or pipe in the tank as hiding places for the fish.
    - Try to use something like an emperor or sponge filter in the tank. Before making use of the hospital tank, put the sponge or media in your display tank's sump for atleast 48 hours so that it acquires enough bacteria to act as a filter for the hospital tank. When this is not possible, daily waterchanges will be required on the hospital tank.

This is by far the best method, and requires no medication. 10gallon tanks are only $10-12 and make great hospitals.

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast