Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this ick???

Is this ick???

Last night i noticed that my yellow tang had suddenly little black spots the size of a grain of fine sand? There were many of them. Is this ick? I have to admit that i made a newbe mistake last friday...i changed the carbon but frogot to rinse it prior to putting it in my sump. Guess what happened...carbon was all over my tank but setteled. If it's carbon on my tang why did it take so long to appear on him and why weren't my other fish affected. I also introduced a blue tang that i suspect to have minor ick...although it has 3 very small white spots. Any ideas? My water params are impeccable and have always been good.

Sometimes yellow tangs can get this, its called black ich I think.

does it just go away? It seems he got it all of a sudden
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'm not sure. What type of a cleaner crew do you have. By this I mean like a cleaner shrimp, wrasse, or goby.

only 1 cleaner shrimp that was just introduced last saturday. The yellow tang likes to pick on him. i dont think he will clean this fish.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Your tang is not likely harassing your cleaner shrimp. He just wants to be cleaned. However your cleaner will need a few days to get settled in and set up a cleaning station. Once this had occurred the cleaner should be happy to get down to the business of cleaning.
    I have never heard of "black ICK" but sight unseen from what you have posted I be inclined to think that it is ICK. I will therefore direct you to this thread for more information.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=4510

Rob

He has Black ick http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr.../blackich.html it has an exact pic of what he has.

first I ever heard of it and or seen it. But then again i don't get ICK very often. If that is your reference and your fish looks like that then it likely is ICK even if black. There are some suggested treatments listed there as well as in other threads here. I would suggest you MOVE that fish to a hospital setup for treatment
    Rob

i think i will remove it tonight but i dont have a hospital tank

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It should be noted that "black Ich" is not actually ich, but rather a flatworm that use fish as a host before spreading to others.

Remove this fish immediately and treat it in a hospital tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast