Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Why not use a UV lamp?

I am interested to see What you guys think about using a UV lamp,why you use it and why you don't use it.

Is it because you think its no effective?
    Is it because you'd rather spend the money somewere else?
    Is it because you never thought of it?
    Is it because You don't believe in it?
    Is it because you find the info out there is not sufficient enough to convience you?
    Is it you think its not an essential equipement?

I have introduced a bacteria in my tank 3 months ago because i did not quarantine a fish.I lost about 500$+ of fish,a volitan lion,a french angel,an henichus,an emperor angel. they appered to have all the same disease.

I put a Uv light and a diatom filter and stired the gravel once in a while to get some stuff floating around to get filtered.

Since then the fish that was left in the tank never got infected.

I added a new lion, a new emperor angel and all the fishes are in very very good health.

I beleive strongly that I Did the right thing by adding a Uv light and I will continue to use it,even on my quarantine.......

So thats why I like them HOW ABOUT YOU???????????
    Derik...

Are you sure it was a bacterial disease which killed the fish? I thought that was quite uncommon while parasitic diseases were more common. Also, a UV filter will kill beneficial bacteria as well as harmful ones.
    Nick

As most here already know I am a firm advocate of using UV sterilization units on our tanks. Some will believe that they kill some of the good bacteria along with the bad and they are correct. However think of it this way.. If you were about to have an operation would you tell the hospital staff to not sterilize the operating room because they might kill some good bacteria? I don't think so. I myself would tell them to KILL EVERYTHING, TAKE NO PRISONERS and ask NO QUESTIONS. The point I am trying to make here is that the good that the unit will do will far out weight the bad that MAY be taking place at the same time. Proper plumbing can in any case protect the stuff that is coming out of your frug. If it is not a gravity feed over the tank frug a lot of the good stuff is being killed in the pumps anyway. FOR me .. the water column should be as pure as is possible except when feeding. KILL any bacteria that dose not have a home... unless of course they are going to start squeegeeing your front pane. Sorry couldn't help myself
    Rob

I am not quite sure what it was but all the fish seamed to die from the same symptoms.Yes they do kill the good and the bad bacteria but My tank has never had any peaks whatsoever of ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.

To me there is enough beneficial bacteria in the live rocks and in the filters and in the substrate that by killing some good bacteria does not effect anything.Most of the retaillers use uv lamps.

I think that there might be a slight issue about that bacteria if you dont use any live rock or any substrate,in a bare tank.

Bob fenner has to say:

"Details of U-V Benefits:

UV and near UV radiation, 295 to 400 nm (nanometers) has also been documented to aid in oxidation of organics, phosphate and nitrogenous compounds through the collateral production of ozone (O3).

Though the disease-reducing benefits above are considerable in producing and maintaining a favorable environment, UV sterilization should not be relied on as the principal part of a filtration system. UV purification can be a very useful addition to an otherwise appropriate filtration system. Ideally a UV will reduce microbial levels to, or below those in the wild. Population explosions of these organisms are most prevalent in new, disturbed systems, and one's where bio-load/feeding is concentrated and vacillating. Hence the extensive use of UV in wholesale operations.

Cons:

UV light is indiscriminate in the destruction of free-floating micro-organisms. It kills "good guys" as well as bad. These beneficial microbes are absolutely necessary in almost all captive environments. For this reason: 1) Initial, break-in periods of new aquatic set-ups are run without the UV being turned on. 2) It is suggested that UV's be left off in conjunction with some therapeutic treatments, but can be used with others.

Organisms maintained in a "well-filtered", strongly UV sterilized system seem to develop a type of acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Like the boy-in-a-bubble, organisms kept in an almost sterile environment seem to lose their ability to ward off infectious diseases. Now, let me explain the qualifiers placed upon the terms above. A) There are no captive systems that result in 100% effective kill of all micro-organisms. B) This loss of apparent immunity occurs over long periods of time in a highly variable, non-selective manner. C) This "syndrome" has, to my knowledge, never been scientifically documented; therefore my use of the word seems from my personal and second-hand experiences.""
    Derik...

If retaillers would have problems with uv lights they wouldn't use it because their tanks would be constanly cycling,and would not be able to hold delicate species because of high ammonia and nitrites....

to me that means that there is Way more good bacteria left ,that there is bad bacteria,and that is kills way more bad bacteria than good ones..and that there is plenty of good bacteria left for the need of the tank
    Derik...

UV`s are a good addition to any tank but I personally wouldnt run them 24 hrs a day I prefer the method of a few hours like 8 hrs in the day,the amount you want to use is really up to you but set it up properly dont buy a smaller one for your tank like a skimmer its the contact time with the UV that insures proper irradication.
    UV KILLS all pathogenes yes algae even cyano.When it comes to parasites well if a fish has Ick it has Ick or whatever parasitic infection,all the UV in the world aint going to help you with that fish.
    UV will kill what ever parasites is in the water colum that comes into contact with it.Once the Ick ruptures from the fish then it will get into the water colum and be eliminated like OSD said IT TAKES NO PRISONERS .
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

And that's what we need.....if you run your uv you shouldnt have the ick floating in the water.

Do you use one Robinl?
    Derik...

Robinl . contact time is determined by flow rate. a somewhat smaller unit can be effective if not over feed with water. In many cases even it the pathogen is not killed outright it is often affected to the point of being pretty useless in its intended live cycle. That being said I would have no issues with a unit designed for a 50 gallon tank running on a 100 gallon setup as long as the flow rate is correct. Doing this is about the same as running a larger unit for only part of the day because the turnover rate will be 50% of the larger unit.
    Rob

Hi Volitan,
    reading your signiature you mainly have fish right?
    A UV for you is great. your also running a refugium all essential bacteria will live in there,your live rock and the bio media.

Most stores who run UV`s has it on there fish systems with large filtration reservoirs with some kind of Bio media or another and thatsd where alot of bacteria will colonize,thats just what I see in the setups in stores that I visit.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

I type slow got a read the posts
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast