Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital tank question

Is it alright to put macro algae in a hospital tank being treated with copper? I know that we should leave out sand and rocks that may absorb the copper, but what about macro algae to provide some filtration and hiding palces? Of course iti would be thrown out after the treatments were over.

Thanks!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Im not sure but you would think that the macro would absob alot of your copper and reducing the dosage..wich you would constantly need to monitor the copper level and adjust more often and use alot more copper....thats just what i would think
    Derik...

Yes, it may. Then again- it may not. :-) It will absorb phosphates, iron, etc, but how much copper I wonder?

Aha! A new science fair project for Stefan! I knew I would come up with something! :-)
    Gail in Nova Scotia

yes it would be good idea to try it,and monitor the copper levels twice a day or so....and see how much aglea, in how much water, and howmuch copper was intoduced,and see the reduction,if so,in the copper level...in maybe a week or so...
    Derik...

you want nothing in a hospital tank but current and hiding spots [pvc]. copper can kill macro algea and bio filtration systems. its best to have good water changes ready when QT'ing. you could have a hang on filter but pull it out if you need to use any meds.you should use very little light as possible and avoid the tank as much as you can to let the fish settle.

Johnny's got it. QT is a BARE BOTTOM setup with only LIGHT current and a place to hide.
    Rob

would the mcro absorb most of the copper?Probably i guess...
    Derik...

Cool

lots of people don't know this but macros are pretty sensitive just like corals. you don't want macros in your QT anyways because if you use the QT on sick fish, when all is said and done you should empty the tank and let it sit dry for awhile so no encapuled enemys are lurking.

Good to know that they are that sensitive...I actually thought they were pretty hardy....do you have to drip them when first introduced?
    Derik...

And hospital tanks for already sick fish should be exactly the same as qt tanks, correct? I am getting questions about this and have never needed a hospital tank. But basically they are the same thing right? So if you are putting several sick fish in one hospital tank you want light current, hiding places for everyone, bare bottom, no strong light, no rocks, no algae...
    What do you recommend for filtration?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast