Thread: Marine itch

Marine itch

We have a 220 gallon reef system with 200 lbs of live coral, 4 large anemones, live fish, shrimps, snails, and marine itch. We are unable to remove the fish from the tank.

What is the best reef safe chemical treatment to remove marine itch? Is MarinOomed (TETRA) safe to use in our aquarium?

Is slowly lowering the salinity to 1.015 safe for our system? I realize that the shrimp may not make it. I don't know what the impact on the coral and anemones will be.
    JAR

Don't lower the salinity in this tank. That can only be done in a hospital tankwith fish only. As for medicating .. Sorry but forget it in a tank with rock in it. You will never get the dose correct as the rock and substrate will absorb it and it will not work. The last time i had ICH in a display setup I went out and got 4 cleaner shrimp and a UV unit. I siphon cleaned the gravel as part of a 25% water change, added the cleaner shrimp and hooked up the UV. It worked for me and I had a pretty serious case of the stuff at the time.
    Rob

OSD is right, no meds in tank.
    Water change and hospital tank.
    How bad is the ich? When I've had ich, I found that feeding them more helped. It's like us, when we are sick our sick our body needs the fuel to fight the disease, and the same applies IMHO, to fish, and it's worked every time.
    Often it will go away on its own.
    Some people add garlic to the food prior to feeding, I've never had any discernible results from this, other than nausea from the smell...
    Some may disagree here, but I find that a hosp tank can cause more stress and make the ich more, and when re-introduced to the main tank it reappears. This is due to the fact that the fish's immunity is lowered and ich thrives on hosting in weak fish.
    Hope this helped.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Sorry Tiff by stressed or not stressed when ICK in in the tank the fish "May" catch it. It is happenstance. Mind you Stressed fish don't need the extra problem to manage and catching ICK could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back for them and they could die as a result of the added stress.
    Rob

OSD, I agree totally, my point exactly.
    Generally, and from experience too, healthy unstressed fish don't catch it.
    I used QT for 2 clowns and gradually implemented hypo and increased the temp to 30 deg cel. Ich disappeared shortly.
    they were kept in QT for 4 weeks and when "healthy" they were returned to the main display only to get it again. None of the other fish ever did. It may have been the stress from the move to another tank.
    I waited 4 weeks as the cycle is debated to be within 2 - 4 weeks for ich, and it disappeared with days.

I also had a Copperband that had severe ich and the other fish didn't get it, and it died from it. The Copperband was rather skinny when I got it and the stress induced starvation most likely made it immune suppressant.
    These are just my experiences and I know that there are many other ways and thoughts on the topic.
    I will add, that if you QT, hypo and increased temp worked wonders for me, I would (next time) keep them in QT for a lot longer, maybe 6 weeks.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)