Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Do As I Say ... Not As I Do

I am now the proud owner to the most expensive Margareta snails in the city ... maybe the province.
    On Dec. the 24 I bough on impulse 12 snails and got 12 for free. I took them home and carefully acclimated them to my tank. Some 4 hours later I added them and they all lived and appeared to be doing just fine.
    On new years eve day I was off to the local pet store (not where I got the snails) to buy medication to treat what looked like ether a bacteria or fungal infection on my fish. By the time Jan 4 rolled around I had already lose 25 percent of my fish but the others looked to be doing better. I however needed to retract that line of thinking this morning when I discovered that a few more had died. I am now left with only 3 fish and I will not hold my breath on them living. I have gutted the tank and put these last 3 into a 30 gallon holding container and are treating them for what I think "may" be Marine Velvet.
    So to date I have lost 2 - 4 inch yellow tangs that I had for over a year, 1 Emperor Angle fish, 5 Blue green Chromis. Replaceing these fish will cost me about 450 to 500 dollars with taxes included. When I take into account the original cost of the snails themselves they work out to be about 20 dollars a piece.

ALL I can add is ...
    DO AS I SAY ... NOT AS I DO and QT your blasted stock .

I AM SOOOOO ANGRY WITH MYSELF that I think I will now go and have a really really BIG DRINK... like about a 26er
    Rob

That's terrible....so sorry to hear that Rob. I'm gonna have a drink for you too! Good luck with your surviving stock I hope they pull through.
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

OSD, so sorry to hear of your loss. So you are saying that the infection arrived on the snails? Were these from the East end LFS on 10th line. I was looking at those thinking the price was not too bad.

Your message is heeded. I never thought of QT the clean up crew.

Ward
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

I will not name the store because these things can NEVER be proven. YES ... EVERYTHING that goes into your tank should .... make that ... MUST ... be QTed. Inverts that are not affected by many fish diseases often carry them.
    Rob

DAN
    Gees sorry too hear that Rob hope every thing worksout for you!!!
    Dan
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

absolutley, QT everything. I'm a little suprised though as most stores keep inverts completely seperate? because they copper all fish tanks. most stores I know do this including PETCETERA and BIGALS.

liv
    wow... sad to hear about this Rob!
    I always read you guys quarantining your stuff but I usually dont do it..( mind you i only buy from one store ) I guess i got lucky so far. the thing is i'm just too exited when I get my stock that i just want to see them swim right away in my main tank. I just converted my nano setup into a real hospital and currently I am running copper to help remove ick off a tang, I guess i will need another hospital for inverts ( since they do not tolerate copper )

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    So sorry to hear Rob.
    That puts a dent in the "new tank mood"....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That really sucks.....
    I may say that I haven't been that great on QTing new fish (I buy from only one spot), but after reading your post, I will start.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

It could have been a lot worse ... I don't have too many fish .. .Thank god. I will at this point be happy if I can save my flame hawk and Hippo Tang. For anyone who reads this thread ... YOUR LUCK WILL RUN OUT TOO IF YOU DON'T QT ... IT"S JUST A MATTER OF TIME.
    Rob

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast