Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QT Tank Setup Help - Clown has ich

As per topic...I bought 2 x Ocellaris clownfishes saturday, one tank raised(sml) and one wild caught(med.), these are my first tankmates added. I noticed 1 or 2 white dots on the wild caught clown yesterday but didn't make more of it since I had also just did a waterchange and thought it might be loose floating particles that just sticked on him. This morning before I left for work I checked the clowns with a flashligt and noticed several white dots on my wild caught clown, nothing on my tank raised. I suspect it may be ich from what ive read...Now I want to QT him to make sure I don't get more ich bacteria spreading in my tank, should I QT just the wild caught since the tank raised seems fine or not chance it at all and QT both ??

Now before I set up my QT because im going to buy some stuff tonight, I want to make sure ive got the whole procedure down pat and make sure what I want to use for my QT tank will be ok...I will set up a 10G QT tank and use hyposalinity, I read from TMM that for filtration I can use a sponge which soaked in my display sump for at least 48hrs to get enough bacteria. I know in the meantime that the sponge loads up I will have to do water changes on the QT, how much water should I change per day on the QT until my sponge is loaded ?? Will this work for filtration, can I use such a unit as the Aquaclear Mini Power Filter (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...721&pcid1=2885) and a regular Sponge like (http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/p...569&pcid1=1965)?? After 48hrs although and the sponge is loaded with bacteria, I just need to place it in an AC filter box and that's all ?? Do I need to replenish bacteria at any point by re-soaking in my sump ??

As for the time it takes, I will reduce the SG to 1.009 over the course of 48hrs, then leave the clown(s) in there for 3 weeks, then on the 4th week over the course of 7 days raise SG back up to 1.025. Does this sound right ?? I should also be syphoning the bottom of the tank after any parasites fall off or after any feeding to suck up food that has not been eaten right ??

Any feedback that can be given is appreciated, good or bad! (I know I should of QT'd hehe) :

Thanks!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

liv
    Hi AK,
    I would not personnaly do the hyposalinity thing.
    I would setup the 10g and like you said run the water through a sponge. I use cupramine that i got from ivan and dose it according to the instription on the bottle. I do a water change everyday from my main tank.
    here is how I do it.

mix a batch of ro/di water with the salt in advance, take 1 or 2 gallons and fill it in your main tank, wait 5-10 min. scoop out the same amount you put in and put that in your quarantine. now it wont fit probebly because the 10g is already full.. so get another bucket and remove the same amount as your going to add. ( make sure to use different buckets so that it does not mix. )

i think the cupramine is like 8-9$ at ivan's place.

the main reason for taking water from your main tank is that you will keep both tanks at the same exact salinity.. so your fish will be able to be scooped in once desease is gone and dropped into main tank right away.. maybe just wait a few minutes for the water in the bag to have the same temp.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks for the info liv! Why would you suggest against the hypo sg. ??

I wouldn't be able to get to Ivans till next weekend and big als sells cupramine for 26$ for a 250ml so id rather refrain from buying it there, which is why Im still leaning more towards hyppo, that and well no meds required but im open to opinions...Im going to big als after work to pick up anything I would require as I want to get em out and into QT tonight!!

But using the AquaClear pwr filter to hold the bacteria loaded sponge is good then ?? Or can I just drop it in the QT tank once its loaded ??

As for doing water changes from the main tank, thats some great info, I will definatly be doing the QT water changes as you described. Although are waterchanges required if im using a bacteria loaded sponge as natural filtration ?

AK

It will be more effective to run water through the sponge.

The sponge likely won't provide enough filtration. Since you don't have live rock or a sand bed in the QT, the water condition will degrade over time. You can't use carbon to filter since you might be using meds. Water changes take care of the pollution. (plus it means doing a little extra water change on the main tank, which isn't bad).

But, I don't know about hypposalinity vs. meds and I don't know if you should isolate the fish separately, or just the one showing indications.

The locally bred fish are typically tougher when they arrive are are more likely to fight off infection.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks cres! Alright I will purchase an AC Power Filter tonight with a sponge, can I use any kind of sponge, I noticed big als sells sponge that have bigger pores (blue) compared to the smaller pores(black) sponges...I guess the black ones are better since they may have more surface area for bacteria ??

As for seperating the fish, I won't be doing that, I have read that it would be better if I QT all fish, because for the time it takes for the parasite to die off, if I leave one fish in my display tank, the parasite may not die off completely...then once QT is over, back to display tank and if parasite is still lurking I could be back to square one...

Anybody else has some input on this ??

AK

cupramine is the best medicine to treat ick. You just have to follow the instructions carefully and treat both fish for a full 14 days. I would do 50% water change every 4/5 days and add 1/2 cupramine dosage accordingly. Also feed sparingly, maybe feed a little every other day.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Also you need to leave your display tank fishless for 6 weeks for ick to completely die off.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Turn up the heat in the display but stay in the safe range to speed up ICHs life cycle and rid the tank sooner of it. Move both to the QT for a full treatment cycle.
    Rob

Rob, when raising the temp, what is a safe upper limit?

I know I have ich in the tank, because my tang has it (again) and the blennie is showing signs by scratching. I now have the dilema of trying to let the fish ride it through, or take all out. I also have two ocellaris (sp?), two chromis and 1 watchman goby. I have a couple LPS and ricordia, zoos and button polyps.

I have read of others who leave the fish in the tank and let them ride it through by feeding well, adding garlic to food, raiser tank temperateure, cleaner shrimp (I have two in the tank)etc.

Just not sure what to do here. To get them out means removing all rock because these guys are fast and hide well.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

If you have good circulation and can keep that warmer water oxygenated I would bring it up to 82 degrees ... slow and study.
    Rob

*****EDIT***** Correction. If you intend to leave the fish in the display tank and "ride it out" Just leave things as they are and "ride it out".
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast