Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wierd puss on fish

I just bought 3 yellow tail damsels from Big Al's. One of them seems to have a bit of white puss coming out just under its mouth. I;m not sure if it is deseased or just has a cut, any ideas?
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Are all of the fish in quarantine? You should QT all fish (I'm guilty of not doing so all the time), but especially any from Big Al's. If it looks like white puss, then it probably is, in which case, medication is probably needed. Most medications cannot be added into your display tank. I would treat (or at the very least) monitor all three fish and hope for the best.
    Are these the only fish in your tank at present? If not (and assuming that you haven't QT'd - which is more a general statement aimed at most of us then a personalized one), all fish will need to be treated ASAP.
    Lastly, damsels are very, very, very territorial. You will need to choose wisely when making additions to your tank.
    Good luck,
    Sara

They are the only fish in the tank right now. It looks like it has a little cut just under its mouth with a little puss coming out. What type of medication can I use to treat this. Is there any I can put in the display tank as I don't have a QT tank yet.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

I don't know of any medications that can be safely used in a display tank. The reason is that most of the medications contain ingredients that can and will kill the critters living in your tank and defeat the purpose of live rock. Do you have a ten gallon tank lying around? That will do wonders as a QT. Do you have meds handy, or will you be running to a store tomorrow? If so, 10g tanks are $12-15. Take water from the tank they are in now, put it in the 10g, add a filter, add meds, test water quality constantly, do frequent water changes and wait out the infection. You will need to leave the display tank empty for 6-8 weeks or so (to ensure bacterial agent is gone) and then put your fish back in.
    This isn't the ideal way to set up a QT, but it's fast and it works.
    Another option is to call BA's and explain that they sold you infected fish. Depending on which store you went to and who answers the phone, they may help you out.

edit: I see OSD is lurking about. He may be able to provide better answers for you.

White puss??? are you sure it is not cottony looking. Think about it ...puss would just be dissolved into the water wouldn't it? Sight unseen it sounds like time to treat for fungal infection. If it "really" is puss then I'm not sure what your fish has got but I would treat it as if it were a bacterial infection.
    Rob

If its cotton mouth fungus....i had the same thing on one of my clowns....2 fresh water bath with formalin-3 and everything gone....Im a firm beleiver in freshwater bath when it comes to outside fungus or parasites.....i ve really good luck with it comparedto meds....unless its internal...then meds are the only way out....but thats just me...
    Derik...

What exactely is a freshwater bath? I guess its more cottony looking, it looks like it has a cut just below its mouth. The fish doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it. I'm not really sure what to do. I'll try and take a pic, I just need to find batteries for my Camera.

no parasites should live in freshwater..so you give him a freshwater bath....take so RO water and adjust it to the same temp as your tank and ph also.....aerate the water very well with a power head...i put a mxi jet on top of the water so there a nice flow but not to much..its just a maxi 400....

Then if you can find some formalin-3....and add a teaspoon per gallon in it.......then take the fish and put it in that water for 5 minutes minumum and 6 minutes maximun...

CAREFULLY OBSERVE YOUR FISH'S REACTION....the first 2 minutes are crucial..if you see that he doesnt swim...try to touch him a bit to make sure he has not "frozen".....I have experience that once, the fish complelty froze and was hard as a rock...this is very uncommun to my knowledge....and i have giving quite a few fresh water bath....

Do it once...then 2-3 days later do another one..do not do it more then 2 times in a week...especially if he is a new arrival in your tank....if its cotton like stuff you should see good results within that week.....

dont be shy for any additional questions....
    Derik...

I got a picture here, I definitely looks like a cut, I guess the white cotton coming out is an infection.

Another pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast