Purple firefish with "hairs"

I got a pair of Purple Firefish last month at Big Al's. One of them has been sort of a basket case. Although he has a good appetite, it has been plague with problems ever since I put him the tank. I'm surprise this fellah hasn't kicked the bucket yet. The more recent problem is little hairs sticking out. He looks a little bit like some old people do with little hairs sticking out of the face. I would estimate the hairs to be about 3 or 4 mm long. Is this a stage of Ick? I have seen ick before at various LFS, but it always little white bumps about 2 mm across. Is it some other parasite? Fortunately, both fish are not in my main tank. I didn't find anything on the net. Reef Central's search engine is not cooperative.

Suggestions?

Deafboy
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Come to think of it, there are brittle worms in the tank. Could it be he had an unfortunate encounter?

Deafkid
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

I think your on the right path with the bristle worm theory. I know of no disease that shows its self by looking like hairs. I'm also pretty sure fire fish have no hair on them.
    Rob

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    I'm also pretty sure fire fish have no hair on them.
    Rob
    Maybe mine is going through pubety!
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Yes the rough and rowdy period. So he likely picked a fight with the biggest bristle worm in the tank and lived to tell the tail.
    Rob