Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad hippo

Mad hippo

I have noticed this behavior on sevral ocasions now. Ever since I added my little school of anthias my hippo tang has been alot more active. Every now and then I see him looking like this,

His black patch seem to pale over and his fins look much more agressive.

Heh, little fellow is just trying to look intimidating so the new guys don't think he's a pushover. Pretty common tang behavior when adding new fish. If he was bigger he'd probably be chasing and/or attacking them.
    Susan

I just think he looks mean. Is it possible that the anthias are stressing the hippo. Could they do so to the point of making him come down with itch.

Well an erect dorsal fin isn't necessarily just stress, fish do it for a variety of reasons. I suspect he's just letting the newcomers know that they can't push him around. The colour change on the black stripe is pretty normal as well. Anthias can be aggressive too but should be good tankmates for a tang. Any time you add a new fish there is some stress for the fish that were there before and a lot more for the newcomers. To be safe I'd add some vitamins and maybe some garlic juice to the food for the next while. If everyone has enough swimming room and hiding places all should be well. Did you quarantine the anthias?
    Susan

I am afraid I have to say no on the QT. They have been at the LFS for almost 3 week before I got them. They assured me it was low risk. I had a 30g qt ready but thought they would be packed in there. I am kinda regretting that now. As for vitamines or garlic, everyone says that. Where can I find this stuff.

Fish open all their fins to make themselves look bigger to their potential enemies. Dogs do the same thing when the hair on their backs stands up. It a way of says hey .. don't mess with me ... look how big I am ... I wouldn't worry about this behavior unless he starts taking swaps at the new arrivals with his tail spikes.
    Rob

I buy a garlic juice spray in the health food section of my grocery store. It's cheaper than the fish store stuff.

Here are the vitamins/supplements I use:

Selcon
    http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...logno=fd-sel60

Garlic Extreme (if you can't get the grocery store stuff)
    http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...talogno=k-gx01

Zoe
    http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...talogno=k-zm04

Vita-Chem
    http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart....bff+1108950738
    Susan

I went home for lunch and what I was afraid of happened. My hippo has what I think is ich. He has 2 spots on one side and 3 on the other. Man those things hit hard and fast. What do I do. I'm thinking QT. I have a empty 10g or a 30g that has only a pair of clowns. Please advise.

Hyppo's are known to have ick. Even if you qt him, he might still have it. It would stress the hyppo more to qt him that to just let him fight it off. Good luck trying to catch him....they are fast.

When I bought my purple tang from the LFS, same thing happened. 2 days and the Tang was covered. My suggestion, well, what worked for me... get yourself a Cleaner Wrasse... Worked wonders for me... Tang is still here... as is the cleaner wrasse... 2 yrs later

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast