Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snails falling like flies.....?

Hi folks. Just wondering what would be causing my snails to die one after the other. Initially, in my QT, I had 3 astrea snails and 3 blue leg hermits with my 2 green chromis. About a month ago, in preparation to starting my main tank, I added another 13 astrea snails along with 10 more blue leg hermit crabs. So, now this is where the plot thickens.

Since about a week after I got the new crew members in, the snails have started to die. In the morning, or upon returning from work, I will find a snail belly up with, of course, the crabs doing their thing. :crap:

Any ideas what could be causing that? Even had one of the original crew member pass away yesterday.

The chromis look fine so I am puzzled here. :banghead: Thanks in advance for your time.

:bananadan :bananadan
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Do you have enough algea for your snails? What are your parameters?
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Could the crabs be killing them? Crabs by their very nature will eat anything they can catch and anything they find.
    As stated above if your water is "off" the snails would be the first to die off so check the water as well.
    Rob

Another thought is perhaps some of the hermit crabs want a larger shell...thus going after the snails.
    Put some empty shells in the tank for the hermits to grow into. That might help.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Originally posted by i2ik
    Do you have enough algea for your snails? What are your parameters?
    Algea? Well, I think the QT went through the whole cycle so far. First, it was diatome, then cyano hair algea, and now there is green hair algea that has been growing on my one piece of LR for a couple of weeks now. Light is on for about 2 hours in the morning and about 3 hours in the evening. The rest of the day, it's whatever light comes through from the window (facing north).

I have to check the water parameters today, so I will have to report back later about this point.

Cheers,

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    Could the crabs be killing them? Crabs by their very nature will eat anything they can catch and anything they find.
    As stated above if your water is "off" the snails would be the first to die off so check the water as well.
    Rob
    That is also another possibility, but I have yet to witness a "murder" attempt. :gangshoot As I mentionned in my previous response, I will be chcking the parameters today. We'll see what it says.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Originally posted by pwall
    Another thought is perhaps some of the hermit crabs want a larger shell...thus going after the snails.
    Put some empty shells in the tank for the hermits to grow into. That might help.
    Ummm... Interesting that should mention that. One my crab has moved into the shell of one of my deceased snail. Came back from work one day and there he was. Kinda funny to watch this little guy move around the tank with this huge shell (compared to him). The other ones now look rather punny compared to him. :evillaugh

Nonetheless, that's a good idea and I will try to get a handfull of small shells for the blue legs hermits.

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

It also could be the astraea snail fell and the crabs attacked and ate it.

As when astraea snails fall they could not flip upright by themselves. So about 2 weeks ago I bought some Banded Trochus Snails. When they fell, they could flip themselves back upright. IMO, they are even better than the astraea snails when consuming algae!

Indeed, astrea snails cannot right themselves when they fall/flip over. Makes you wonder how they managed to survive in the wild. :evillaugh

I got a bunch of empty shells from Ivan and dropped them in the tank. A couple of crabs were already shopping for possible new homes. :rotflmao:
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Just completed my water tests, and the results came out as follow:

Changed the charcoal filter as it was a few days overdue.

Phosphate= 0.5
    PH= 7.8 (EEEK!!!!)
    Ammonia= 0
    Nitrite= 0
    Nitrate= 40 (Ouch!!!)
    Temperature is always constant at 78 F.

I am getting some RO/DI water ready and will prepare a batch of SW for a water change.

Now, I have this bottle of Liquid Marine Buffer from Seachem to help stabilize the PH. Should I add it now or wait until I have made my water change?

Thanks in advance for your help and bearing with the newbie that I am. :wave:

Cheers! :beer:

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast