ICK On Hippo Tank

I have a hippo tang (2-3") That has just got ICK. What sort of medication should I use, I do not have a cleaner shrimp, not sure if I should go out and but one.

i have always had good results treating hippos with cupramine (copper). although, you must treat in a hospital tank as you cant treat your display with copper or all your inverts will die.

I use a product called Reef Vital DNA by Marc Weiss and among other things says that it "interferes with the ability of ick to adhear to fishes' skin" quote from the bottle. I do know that when my purple tang got ick a couple of times, I used it and the next day the ick wasn't on the fish.

Cheers,

Hippo tangs are one of those fish that can and will get ick alot. Mine used to get it all the time when it was smaller, but ever since I got a couple cleaner shrimp it has never gotten an outbreak. Once in awhile I might see a couple spots, but thats as far as it gets.
    Save yourself the trouble of treating it all the time and get yourself at least 2 cleaner shrimp as big as possible. If the outbreak is already bad I suggest putting it in a quarantine tank and treating it this time around, but if its only a couple spots here and there, the cleaner shrimp may do the trick this time as well.

if it is only a small outbreak you can also try feeding him some garlic, it might help. it has worked for me in the past, i just crush the garlic and the the fish small chunks, my tangs always ate a couple of pieces. jme

I am in the same boat. My hippo seams to be fighting it off but I am getting ready for qt. There is alot of debate about leaving the tank fallow so the parasite can never complete its life cycle and kick the bocket. But some say it can come back just like that. After alot of reading I will go fallow for 10 weeks.