Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hippo tang with ich

my hippo tang showed a few spots 2 days ago, yesterday he had quite a few more, and today the i can't tell if he got more or if he dropped them, he still has his healthy appetite. been feeding with garlic. Should i remove the hippo tang before other fish are infected? or should i ride this out as he looks like he is doing fine?

If you have a place to put him outside of the community tank and you can catch him I would put him there. If not just ride it out as long as he's eating ok. These fish are prone to getting ICH. I don't really know why. They won't stay still long enough for me to ask them!!!:biggrinbo
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I'd ride it out... had similar experiences in my reef.... I personally found it just stressed the hell out of them to remove them.... in a healthy reef the ich doesn't bother them...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

if he is completely covered i would remove him. if the spots dont cover him completely and he is eating i would let him be. jmo

IMO if he can be caught without messing up the entire setup I would QT him. Tangs get ICH more often then other fish because they have somewhat less protection because they have skin as compared to scales covering their bodies. They also as a rule have pretty heavy slim coatings so meds often do not even affect the parasites until they leave the tangs body.
    Rob

Do you have any cleaner shrimp in your tank? If you don't and you don't have any predatory fish it would be a good investment to get at least 2. My cleaner shrimp are constantly cleaning my hippo tang and she's alot happier for it.

I know garlic has a antiparasitic allicin which helps. Does feeding garlic help in other fish, like clown, etc?

there has been no proof that garlic helps,[not scientific] but it seems to definatly increase there appetite and could possible leave a bad taste in the parasites mouth: chances are,if you see ich already on the tang then its in the tank. so QT,ing might not really help at this point. QT'ing is a must before adding to the tank. saying that, hippos to me are the worst tangs for this problem but seem totuff it out if healthy. cleaner shrimps and/or gobies really help and its possible that after awhile the ich will just fade away.I have the same issue with miy hippo. he seems to be getting it less as he grows bigger and no other fish is affected. VAN is right,trying to catch him is probally more stressfull. use SELCON soaked foods.

i'm the same Johnny Well not me but my blue tang. When I first got him he was always getting ICH but now he never gets it.....Weird Stuff!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

My hippo has deen batteling ich for the past 2 months. I debated the issue of QT for a coule of weeks. Opted to try to let him fight it off. It seams that he is getting better. Less spots every time and they don't last as long as before. None of the other 7 fish in the tank ever seamed to have any. I feed him alot, algea flakes, cycloopeez and a couple different frozen preperations with added vitamins and algea. I think he consumes as much food himself as the 6 anthias do all together. His stomac looks full even hours after eating. Plus I see him grazzing all day long, off the back glass, rocks and substrate. I do a 5g water change every day to make shure my water quality is ok.

Can ich bite skin of the fins? 2 weeks ago, when the all fell off, he was missing a chunk of his dorsal fin. The fin repaired itself in a couple days, wich I think is a good sign. But how much damage can this ich do that we don't see?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast