Flame Angel has hole in Fin

Hello all,
    I've been lurking around these forums for some time reading and learning as much as I can, Now I am in need of help!

I purchased a flame angel about 2 1/2 weeks ago and placed in my 10G QT.
    After about 1 week in the QT I noticed a small lump on one side of his top fin close to the very back of the fish (near where its fin starts to turn purple) Sorry I don't have a pic at the moment.

This lump progressed into a cotton-like substance that eventually appeared on the other side of the fin as well. After about 1 week the cotton substance disappeared and left a hole in the angels fin! The hole may be getting slightly larger with time but it's hard to tell because I've been keeping a close eye on him. It is certainly not getting any smaller! Currently the hole is about 2-3mm in diameter.

Can anyone offer up a possible identification of this ailment? I can't seem to find anything on what it could be. I'd like to start treating it ASAP but obviously need an idea of what it is, in order to know how to treat it.

Thanks in Advance,
    Chad

sounds like a fungus or bacteria of some sort. keep an eye on it. fins can heal real quick.

Thanks Johnny,
    If is a fungus or bacteria, is this something that can spread? I'm certainly not going to rush him out of the QT but what can use as an indicator to know when he can be moved to the DT? Also assuming it's fungus or bacteria, is there anything I should do to treat the fish?

Cool

feed him selcon soaked foods,keep the water in the QT fresh and just watch him. if when hes ready to go to the main tank and he looks great then you should be fine. if the hole spreads in the next few days then you might need to treat the water with meds but hold off. is the fish eating?

Yes, he eats like a pig! (been feeding him Green Marine 40 flake mostly, seems to love it!)
    Seems generally healthy other than his "speed" hole haha.. No signs of sickness otherwise.

liv
    i'd follow johnny's advice on the selcon.
    not sure flakes are the best thing out there.. most of us mix our own cocktails for them, selcon, golden pearl, cyclopeeze, garlic oil or juice, mysis shrimp etc.

if its still there, ivan sells a product called cupramine to help with most deseases.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Well I picked up some Zoe (Couldn't find selcon at the time). Been soaking it's food in that about 1 feeding every couple of days. The hole seems to be healing over. Thanks for the help/advice..