Possible gill problem

Chloe, my copperband butterfly, has been having trouble ever since the copper treatment after the oodinium incident just before Christmas. It's worse some times than others but never seems to go away. The only visible symptoms are laboured breathing and puffy reddish gills. I don't think it's a parasite because if it was by now other fish would be infected, it's been going on for months. It only seems to bother her when it is at its worst which lasts 3 or 4 days then it seems to get a bit better for a while.

Anyone ever hear of this? I'm wondering if anything can be done to help her. Is it possible that the copper treatment could have permanently damaged her gills somehow? She never did get the oodinium very bad but had to be treated with the rest of course.
    Susan

This dose sound like heavy metal poisoning Susan. Some fish can be poisoned even by the dosages that are considered to be safe for general use when copper is used. The redness of the gills sometimes in conjunction with mucous coating are natural responses to the condition. There is not much .. make that nothing ... you can do about it. Once the gills are damaged by heavy metals they remain damaged because the metal is in the flesh and blood. About all you can do it try to keep O2 levels in the water high so the fish gets the O2 it needs in spite of the gill condition.
    Rob

I was afraid of that. Today she's having one of her better days and is acting perfectly normally but is still "panting" a little bit. On her worst days I can see bright red inside her gills and she tends to hide quite a bit. Dang. I used cupramine which is supposed to be very safe and I tested every day to be sure the level was where it's supposed to be.

I didn't have a lot of choice, she would have died without the medication but I wish there was a surefire non-copper cure for oodinium!
    Susan

There's not much you could have done Susan. Some fish are more sensitive to metals them others and then there's also the accuracy question of the test kits. If anything you can use her as a O2 / CO2 monitor. Low O2 or high CO2 will have her panting.
    Rob

It's sad though, I've had her for years and raised Chloe from a tiny baby and she's in perfect health otherwise. She's been like this for months now so I guess it's not going to do her in but I suspect it will shorten her natural lifespan.
    Susan

Well ... the only other 2 non metal based medications that will kill velvet only kill it on the surface of the infected fish. Those fish end up re-infected from their own feces. Curing with non metal based meds takes a lot longer. I hope she makes out OK even if for a shorter then expected time frame. Be weary of high temps in summer when O2 levels in the water will be lower. She may even fair better in a cooler tank where O2 levels would be higher in general.
    Rob

Rob,

Would running a UV filter prevent re-infection if you used a non-metal treatment? Or would it just shorten the treatment time?

Just asking for general knowledge...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

It would definitely shorten the treatment period, and likely by a fair amount. Once a fish IS infected your UV is not a cure all because you can not guarantee that every drop of water containing bacteria will go through the unit.
    Rob

Thanks Rob, that's good advice about the oxygen. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the summer especially.

I also have a juvenile longnose butterfly that went through the same copper treatment. He doesn't appear to have any problems but he hasn't grown at all since then either. I guess it's safe to say that copper shouldn't be used with butterflyfish if you can avoid it.

Krugar - I believe UV definitely helps but it's no guarantee. I run a large 40W unit on the tank that got infected. It actually was down for a few weeks and that would of course be the time that the fish I believe brought the oodinium in was introduced. When I got the UV working again it was too late for preventation.
    Susan