Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I treat a Flame Angel with Copper?

Hello,
    Me again..
    Last night to my complete disapointment and confusion, My flame angel which has been in its own QT for at least 6 weeks now is suddently showing Ich spots.. I just can't win it seems...:bawling:

I've heard Flame angels don't take well to copper. Is this true? Can I use copper if I carefully monitor the levels? I don't have a refractomer so doing hypo is next to impossible with a hydrometer.

Currently my 4 other fish (Hippo Tang, 2x Pink Skunk, 6-line Wrasse) are in a 30G with copper and are doing fine. Can I put the flame angel in with them to treat or should I keep it in it's own tank and treat it there?

Thanks,
    Chad

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You don't want to introduce the ich to your other fish. As such, the flame should be treated alone.

I don't like using copper based meds. Have you looked into using a hypo-salinity treatment? Using a Refractometer slowly bring the salinity down to 1.009 SG. Have it remain at that level for 3 weeks, and over the course of a week, bring the salinity back up to 1.025 SG.

Have you checked the water parameters in the tank the angel is currently residing in? Seems kind of strange that the angel was fine for 6 weeks to all of a sudden develop Ich.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks for the response Tang Man,
    My other fish were only placed in copper medication less than a week ago. They currently have ich (although they are looking much better now then when they were in my DT). Still may not be a good idea, but If the others are already infected then I was hoping I could get away with only having one QT to maintain and could shut down the 10G the flame is currenty in...

Yeah I know I'm puzzled too as to how the angel developed ich after 6 weeks of isolation.

I have looked into Hypo, but I'm a little scared seeing as how I don't have a refractometer to acuratly test salinity.

Stopped by to see Ivan last night. Picked up a refractometer. I'll start hypo on with the flame angel this weekend..

Good luck with the treatment Blinky, be sure to calibrate your refractometer when you get it...

I also located an old post of mine to help you along...

Garlic won't treat ich. It's only a preventative measure.

The only true way of curing ich is in a hospital tank.

The best way while using a hospital tank is to maintain a normal temperature, say 78-80 degrees, and gradually reduce the specific gravity to 1.009 over the course of 48 hours. This is called Hyposalinity treatment. Ich cannot survive at this specific gravity, and will die off. The fish will then have to remain at this SG for the course of 3 weeks. During the last week, you slowly bring the salinity back up to 1.025 and then you can re-introduce him into your tank.

Points of note:
    - It is not only important, but necessary to use a refractometer or salinity meter when going down to 1.009 sg.
    - It is also important to make sure that the SG does not climb and remains stable for the couse of 3 weeks.
    - Bringing the SG back to normal levels is much slower than going down to 1.009, and should be done over the course of 7 days.
    - Use PVC fittings and/or pipe in the tank as hiding places for the fish.
    - Try to use something like an emperor or sponge filter in the tank. Before making use of the hospital tank, put the sponge or media in your display tank's sump for atleast 48 hours so that it acquires enough bacteria to act as a filter for the hospital tank. When this is not possible, daily waterchanges will be required on the hospital tank.

This is by far the best method, and requires no medication. 10gallon tanks are only $10-12 and make great hospitals.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for re-posting that TangMan. I followed your intructions and got the water down to 1.009 yesterday evening.

Couple of questions. Do you keep the SG at 1.009 for 3 weeks then raise it back up during the 4th week or do you keep it at 1.009 and raise it back up during the 3rd week?

Also, It is absoultly critical to keep it at 1.009? Is there any tollerance for slight SG increase due to evaporation? I will check it daily but just it would be good info to know.

Cheers,
    Chad

Originally posted by Blinky
    Thanks for re-posting that TangMan. I followed your intructions and got the water down to 1.009 yesterday evening.
    No problem, I hope it works out for ya...

Couple of questions. Do you keep the SG at 1.009 for 3 weeks then raise it back up during the 4th week
    Yup!

Also, It is absoultly critical to keep it at 1.009? Is there any tollerance for slight SG increase due to evaporation? I will check it daily but just it would be good info to know.
    Evaporation will indeed raise the SG. It's best to use a larger tank than a smaller tank for this in order to minimize salinity drift. Otherwise, just do your best and check it daily, or even better use an auto-top-off unit.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!

The flame's in a 10G tank and will have to stay there (Just can't buy another tank! ) I'll have to watch it like a hawk for the next 4 weeks that's all..

Thanks again,
    Chad

Hey! Just noticed.. Happy B-day Tang Man!

thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast