Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow Tang with Red

I arrived home last night to find my yellow tang to have a red patch on both sides at the back bottom fin. He had a similar red patch on the top a couple weeks ago that went away. He is eating well, behaving normally and he is not being attached by anybody (only in with a hippo and they are friends He has been with me for more then a year and there have not been any additions other then the hippo (3-4 months ago)

The pick is a little blurry (he is well enought to no slow down) but you can see the red. Any ideas?

maybe he's truning into a red tang???
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

this is a bacterial issue. this is a quality of water problem. if left untreated [step up the water changes] it could/will eventually kill the tang.

Is it typical for it to appear/disappear like this? No other fish are showing any signs. Do you know the specific water quality param that would cause this?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Cool

tangs are very sensitive to water issues. yellow ones more so.
    not sure what your asking by 'what water parm''? I don't think its a cal/alk issue. I think its a change of water issue.here is some info.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=138705

I agree with Johnny. I think it's hemorrhaging. Not good. It won't kill the tang soon but you should do something if it persists.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

My Book says this may be a "Vibrio Infection". It can be treated with copper in early stages and with antibiotics in later stages. It is rare. Low PH bleeding is accompanied with whiting of the skin before the bleeding starts. Tangs don't have scales but if this were a fish with scales and the scales were raised at the site it would be a Bacterial infection.
    Rob

Tangs don't have scales???
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

No they don't they have skin and an extra heavy slime coating. This extra thick slime coating is what makes treating tanks for most skin conditions and ICH so difficult. Often times the medications do not even contact the skin through the slime coating.
    Rob

Cool! I thought the scale were very small. Do you know how Tangs changes color like they do? My Naso and Desjardini can go from full color to black in a instant. Really neat!
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast