Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

garlic vs ick???

I just got a kole tang for my 75. He unfortunatly arrived with a small case of ick. Though the spots are gone now surely they will come back with a vengance...

Hes has lots of different macro algeas to choose from for his diet and Im also giving him garlic dipped misis shrimp 3 or 4 times a day.

The general apearance of the fish is quite healthy, he had a scrape along his body when he first got here and now its practicaly gone. His belly is always very round and full. He comes to the front of the tank when he sees me show up with the food. No signs of stress in this fishs' life.

Hopefully somebody has positive experience with the garlic dip, please share the knowlege.
    Thank you.

If ICK goes away while treating with Garlic it is PURE happenstance. Good health is a great deterrent and Garlic "may" add to the health of the fish but it will not cure ICH.
    Rob

I agree with OSD, no proven medical cure but lots of people seem to have luck with garlic. My beleif is it makes the food more attractive to the fish, therefore stronger fish, better able to fight if off. But in no way am I an expert. But I have had luck with garlic. In this hobby, where things can get expensive in a hurry, if it works for you, great.

Good to hear someone has had luck with it. I will continue...
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

what is the process that people are using with using garlic?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

You can purchase garlic extract for marine tanks at most LFS's, If not I know marine depot has it, I am unaware if Ivan has it available from this site. Pretty much soak the food prior to feeding. Most products reccomed 30 mins. I have not tries using regular garlic, too messy for me.

i've seen the extract before, but some people use regular garlic? how does that work?
    what is the procedure
    water and food with mashed garlic?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I put mashed garlic in with the food and let it soak for a while, then the lot goes in the tank.
    Clowns won't touch the Garlic, just the food...but my tangs eat it up.

Does it cure ick? It does seem to help, it seems not to harm the fish...so why not
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

I don't know if garlic cures the fish, but it makes the aquariast feel better. So why not!

Originally posted by Bram
    what is the process that people are using with using garlic?
    I use a half a bulb in my 90G, peel it crush it with the flat of a knife blade, and then chop it finely.

Here's a quick read: http://www.reefs.org/library/article...tes-jorge.html

There's a few theories behind how garlic works & I believe it's currenlty being studied more.

If I get a chance I'll link back to the articles but bacisally the active ingredient in garlic is Allicin. This is a wide spectrum anti-biotic that although weeker is compariable to penicilin.

While it doesn't out right kill Cryptocaryon irritans, it is believed to damage them and cause them to leave an infected fish before they mature. This breaks the life cycle.

It's also theorised that the garlic may make it more difficult for the parasites to locate an host. Again breaking the life-cycle.

Garlic is also an appetite enchancer, which can be a good thing for a sick / injured / infected fish. This doesn't affect ICH directly, but a well fed fish has a better chance.

I wouldn't say it's fair to state that any success with garlic is merely happenstance. There are better forms of treatment, prevention (QT) being the most effective.

There was a thread on reef central about it as well & somebody looknig after a public tank with sharks is using garlic only to treat them with success. (Sharks apparently are extrememly copper sensitive)

Anyway, the only three abosolutely proven methods of removing ICH from a system are hypo-salinity (6 weeks in QT, leave the display fishless for a month.) 3 weeks of copper (fish stay in QT for a month though) or the 3 day tank dance (repeated 4 times).

I'm using garlic to convince my yellow tang to eat nori. At this point he only eats nori if I've added garlic to the water...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast