Thread: Hlle?

Hlle?

How fast does HLLE strike?

My yellow tang has a touch around his eyes and beak. The problem is it's just getting over being shy so I don't know if he's always had it & I just noticed or he's just developed it.

My water params are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 5, pH 8.2, salinity is 1.025. I have an auto top off so this doesn't fluctuate much. Temp is 78F - 79F.

He's eating like a pig. He gets 1/4 sheet of nori daily, and I'm alternating adding marine plankton, cyclops-eese, and my blender mash. (vairous frozen sea food + cyclopse-eese, nori, spirulina, and brine shrimp)

He's also doing a great job of cleaning me out of algea, including chaeto. I think I've got the diet down, but a second opion is always good.

I can't tell if it's getting bigger or not, I've just noticed it, but I'll watch it.... Any tips besides keep him eating & the water clean?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Any ideas on this?

The tank params are still the same as above however I've been running carbon (changing every 3 days) & I've done my regular partial over the week-end.

With the carbon running (about a week now) the skimmer's not picking up bugger all, but I suspect there isn't bugger all for it to pick up.

I've adjusted his diet a bit & the rotation looks like this:

Every day: Nori (1/8 of a sheet left out for grazing)
    Small Cube of Mysis

Soaked food rotation:
    Day 1: Pinch of Cyclops-eese flakes + Green 40
    Day 2: Cyclops-eese flakes + blender mash + 0.5mL Selcon
    Day 3: Cyclops-eese flakes + Green 40
    Day 4: Cyclops-eese flakes + frozen marine plankton + 0.5mL Selcon

Sundays: BBS + Spirulina powder

Ignore my sig, the 90G tank finished cycling before I added the tang.

The tank currently has 1 yellow tang, 1 Copper banded, 2 false percs, a lawn mower blenny, 2 PJ Cardinals, a sand shifting star & 3 tiger cukes.

I also moved all my coral over from the nano tank.

Nothing else is showing any sign of trouble, but hte yellow tang definately has a case of head & lateral line erosion. It's presenting normally around the face & latter-lines, no fin erosion as is more common with yellow tangs.

The leading theories are water quality & diet. I think I've got both covered, am I missing anything? I did break a heater in the tank shortly after setup so their could be heavy metals in the water... but I've run so much carbon I'm somewhat shocked to find water in the water & I've done 3 20% partials since.

The HLLE isn't getting any worse, but it's not getting any better either...

Ideas?

Cheers!

So no thoughts? Anyone?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Wow Krugar,

I'm surprised nobody's pitched in to help.

I've never really had to deal with HLLE at the level that you are right now. My hippo had some slight HLLE several years ago when I first got him from the previous owner, however water quality helped, and now he's only slightly scarred.

As you've already mentioned yourself, HLLE can be attributable to water quality and diet. Judging from what you've shown though that is covered. There are some theories also that mention stray electricity could cause HLLE. I don't know how much truth there is to that, however it may be worth checking with a voltmeter in your water.

Did the tang perhaps already have HLLE when you acquired him?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

It's possible he had it when I picked him up, but it definately got worse in my tank. I wasn't sure if it was HLLE or parasite at first, now I'm sure it's HLLE.

I've now managed to stop it from getting any worse I'm just not sure if it's getting better.

I'll see if I can come up with a volt meter to test for stray voltage, the odd thing is the butterfly is showing no signs of stress & I was under the impression they are at least as delicate as a yellow tang. Maybe I'm wrong there.

On the up-side he eats like a tang so I'm pretty sure he's otherwise healthy.

Cheers!