Hypo-salinity or copper for Powder Blue?

I got a few fish yesterday and put them in my quarantine tank last night. One of them is a Powder Blue Tang which seems healthy but I know that it is very prone to getting ich. Steven Pro says " any surgeonfish / tangs that I import go throught a hyposalinity treatment because of their propensity to be infected with Marine Ich".
    I only have one quarantine tank available at the moment and I noticed that the Flame Angel presently has Ich so I want to start treating the tank before things get out of control. The two options that I have are copper (Cupramine) or hyposalinity- both stress the fish to a certain degree but the copper would kill the cycle in the tank so I'd have to do frequent water changes. My question...does a hyposalinity work just as well as copper in treating ich? I have read that a few of you prefer hyposalinity to copper but I want to make sure that I get rid of the ich for good and in a way that is best for the fish. Any suggestions / comments are appreciated.

Marty

Actually if you keep it at hypo salinity and keep the fish in the Q tank for the 6 to 8 weeks that it takes for the ich to fully die off, you shouldnt have to use any medication, and it wont stress the fish.
    -Dazz

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Marty,
    I personally believe that Hyposalinity is the way to go in treating Ich. However don't attempt it without a refractometer.

Ideally you want to bring the salinity down to 1.009 over the course of a few days, leave the tank at that SG for 4 weeks to kill of the ich lifecycle, then bring the SG up to 1.025 over the course of a week.

Monitor the fish, and the tank during the whole procedure, making sure that ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates don't get out of control. Keep several large pieces of PVC pipe in the tank for the fish to hide in. I even cover 3 sides of the tank so that the fish don't get stressed from movement outside the tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

After recently loosing all my fish to ich, I have been doing a lot of reading on it,
    this thread is great, Long though

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ich

But well worth the read.
    I will summerize a bit though, did you just set this qt up, you might really want to check the toxins, and hypo can kill a cycle as well. Three people in the thread all did hypo and the ich came back, with hypo salinty you need a refractor meter a swing arm salinity meter will not do, for hypo to work is has to be at a constantly .009 and that you would have to test twice a day. with copper you can say for sure as long as you follow the directions closely it will be gone. I was orginally against coppermine but after the reading the thread and going through loosing all my fish I can say a 4-6-8 week qt for all my fish and will be using copper to treat any ich. You also might want to look at a couple of products like seachem stability to help the cycle.

I presently don't have a refractometer so I'd have to get one quick if I went with the hypo option. I didn't know that hyposalinity could kill the cycle as well. I've used copper in the past (using half the recomended dose) and everything went well but I want to stress the fish as little as possible and make sure that the ich does not survive and my fish do.
    Powder_Blue, I have gone through that thread and there is a lot of differing opinions and both have their pros & cons but I think that copper is more of a sure bet however is more stressful on the fish.
    I'll keep reading before I decide.

Thanks

I have used copper (cuppermine) in the past with great success. In fact i coppered all my new fish for the exact 14 days with the recommended dosage on the bottle in bare bottom quaranteen tank with only pvc pipes for the fish to hide. You need to do regular water change and redose copper accordingly using proper test kit.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

I presently have a barebottom QT with 5 large PVC pipes (12" long) for the fish to hide in and will cover 3 sides of the tank so that movement in the room don't spook them. I have used Cuppermine in the past but was told to use 1/2 dose for marine fish...not sure if that's correct info or not??
    Presently I have Cuppermine at home as well as a copper test kit so this would be an easier option. If I decide to go with hyposalinity, I need to get a refractometer to get the water to the exact salinity.
    tang_man_montreal, have you been using hypo for all your fish and have you ever had any problems with ich returning?
    I've been doing a lot of reading over the past week and there are a lot of people who swear by both methods...both seem to work well and there are risks in either case.

Guys ... From what I understand (don't remember where I read it) but anyway .. Hypo-salinity and for that matter a lot of commonly used medications do not do a very do job on treating ICH on tangs and other fish that develop heavy slime coatings. The issue being that these fish will quickly replace slime coating OVER wounds INCLUDING those made by borrowing parasites. This protective slime coating acts as a protective barrier for the ICH parasites when they are in the attached stage. ICH is best killed by any method when it is in its free floating / swimming stage. This is why it takes 6-8 weeks to truly cure.
    Rob

PS move to fish disease forum .. thanks

If you decide to user Cuppermine. You have to use the full recommended dosage and treat for minimum 14 days and do regular water change (every couple days or so) depending on your fish load; Then redose copper using the right test kit. Otherwise it's going to come back.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Thanks for all the replies. I installed an egg crate divider in my quarantine last night because the Powder Blue was attacking the Flame Angel and one of the Hippo Tangs. The Flame looks like it took a good beating and I don't know if it will survive. I have decided to go with the copper treatment as I have everything I need for that and don't have a refractometer for accurate hyposalinity treatment. I will keep the Powder Blue by itself during the quarantine period and will add all the others in the main tank after 6-7 weeks of problem free quarantine after copper treatment. I'll wait two weeks more before adding the Powder Blue in the main display to give the others a bit of time to get adjusted.
    I hope this will work.
    Thanks again for your comments and opinions.

Marty