Thread: Popeye!

Popeye!

I just purchased a JEBO 15W sterilizer for my 100G
    I think it came just in time..
    This afternoon My hippo tang had POPEYE, Iíve been busy the last few days but to my knowledge he was quite healthy yesterday. He is eating like mad, just as before and eating out of my hand playing with my Moorish Idol. All other fish are healthy and eating, it is only in his one eye.
    he does like to play alot on the rockwork, and he sleeps in a very small crevis between tow rocks.

Question
    1. What is the best treatment for this disease, it is a Fish only tank so I can treat it, lots of liverock though, but i have places to put it. (all levels are good, a water change 2 days ago.)
    This tank has been stable for Some time now. No other disease has been problematic.
    i was thinking freshwater bath, but when he saw the Net he Ran.

2. How long would one usually leave the UV sterilizer on (All the time on sometimes, it must kill good bacteria too.) i turn my skimmer only a few days of the week.

Popeye (gas in the eye) can be caused by bacterial infection, damage to the eye or both, and tuberculosis. I would treat it as a bacterial infection. That way you covering the possibility of infection setting in if the eye is simply damaged.
    I would not do a freshwater bath for this condition.

Run your UV 24/7

Rob

ok,
    I went for dinner and i was thinking about doing one.
    i'm assuming the UV kills benificial bacteria too.. (does it?)
    should i expect an increase in levels?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Your UV unit will only kill the stuff that is free floating or swimming in the water column that goes past the light. There will be no change in your water parameters as it relates to good bacteria. The vast majority of the good bacteria are not floating around.
    rob

Ahh
    thanks
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500