Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lionfish With No Tail

I rescued a Lionfish today from a store that shall remain nameless. The Lionfish was crashed on the bottom of the tank looking sad. The normal dorsal spines were laying flat along its body. What was worse was the complete lack of a tail. It appears to have been eaten away from ots body with only a raw stump remaining. I convinced the storeowner to give me the fish to take home and see what I could do. Upon my arrival I took a few pictures which I will post when my camera batteries recharge. I also tested the water and got the shock of my live. The PH of the water from the tank store was 7.2. What was worse was that the Amonia level was off the chart of my Fastest Amonia Test Kit. The tank had the thickest coating of Cyano bacteria on the bottom I have ever seen.

I dripped him in over two hours. I would have done it slower as there was such a difference in our PH and SG, but, the amonia levels were toxic and he needed to get out as quickly as I could. I placed him in a very established 33 gal tank. I removed the carbon from the filter and turned off the HOB skimmer. I then gave the tank a good dosing of Melafix to help repair the damage on the tail.

Unfortunately, other than Melafix, there really are no other treatments I can do right now as I would have to order on line and generally takes a week to get anything. Is there anything else I can do to give him a fighting chance? I figure he has survived this long in the toxic soup he was living in for this long he will probably make it. He has been in the tank for a few hours and has perked up remarkably now that he is in perfectly maintained water. Unfortunately, due to his lack of a tail, Stumpy will probably never swim in open water again.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Here are a couple of picture of the Lionfish's tail/stump.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Here are a couple of pictures of the damaged tail.

Hardware:

Man that is so sad.... i'm glad you didn't give that butcher shop a dime for taking him they should have paid you.....I would be letting everyone know what store it is too.... it's just sick to look at those pics.... hats off to you for jumping in and trying to give this guy a chance at life..... hope he makes it!

From the Pics it almost looks like a clean cut? I will hope that's not the case!!! with that much of the tail missing I would be very surprised if it grows back. there is however no reason why he can not do well in an aquarium as compared to in the wild where getting food would be a big job. I do hope he dose well and as has already be say ... Hats off for stepping in and doing the right thing.
    Rob

OSD,

It is the camera angle that makes it look like a clean cut. I actually watched the fishes tail split down the middle and then wasted away from there over the course of two months.. On the up side, Stumpy made it through the night and is much more alert this morning.

Hardware:

Wow that's good. Glad you took the chance to save him. BRAVO!!!
    One thing I truly hate is to see anything suffer. I really hope he makes it. As OSD said there is a chance his tail may come back. Keep us posted.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

I was at most likely the same store and saw a similar case, a poor maroon clown was not looking to lively. I asked if I could just take him home since I knew he was close to death and would soon be there if no one was going to do anything. I didn't ask a manager but the guy behind the case insisted that the fish was fine and that was normal behavior...it's normal for a fish to not swim, yet lie on it's side breathing very slowly and floating around in the current...I don't agree. He was already becomeing a snack for other fish too.. that's normal? I should have just stuck my hand in there and got him out myself...

Garlic contains a low power, broad spectrum anti-biotic and it's also an apetite stimualant.

I'm not suggesting you forego ordering other treatments, but you may want to consider crushing half a clove & adding it too the tank for now.

He very likely won't eat it, so you'll have to remove the garlic bits to maintain water quality, other wise the garlic will eventually rot causing more harm than good. I've heard of people steeping it in tank water and then filtering out the bits as well.

Anyway, you're not after getting him to eat it, it has anti-fungal as well as anti-biotic properties and it just has to be in the water. They good stuff tends to float though so getting it around the fish is a bit of a challenge. But just having it in the water is kind of like socking carbon vs. using it in a power filter.

Best of luck with him.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

hmmm, I know its sad but I'm of a different oppion on this. if you buy a sick fish it could introduce disease into an established tank [not saying you have other fish, just an example]. also, that gives the LFS more room in his tank to order another LION FISH because they will. if it dies in there store then they think twice.
    MELAFIX, I think this stuff has NO use what soever in the saltwater hobby.
    Its absolutly garbage IMO and you'd be better off putting back your flitratiom system.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast