Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hippo has Ich

Hippo has Ich

Once a fish has ich, will it always have ich or be more vulnerable towards developing ich in future?

My hippo tang has a very mild case of ich at present (max 5 spots, or so). The spots were gone within a week but I cotinued to dose the tank for a few days after the fact (in hope that it would not return)... alas, it did. Shall I continue to dose the tank? How many days after the spots have cleared up should I continue to dose the tank?

Thanks!
    kate

What are you dosing the tank with? How big of a tank is it? In general, hippos will get ich, and will usually get over it if they are happy and healthy.

Keep them eating. I know O.S.D. has some serious experience with ich. I'm sure he will jump in.

*sigh* thing with ich, once they fall off fish, they rest in the gravel until host is available again... if no host, then they die... thus, if u have it, its too late hehe

i saw they stuff u treated it with, i'm suprised it didn't kill everything...
    stained the damn gravel :P

tangs and other fish with small scales tend to get ich more easily... if he's tough, he'll fight it out...

BVOSS, I've been treating the tank with the PetCetera brand Ick treatment. I've also been steeping the frozen mix in garlic to boost the little guy's immune system. He seems quite content, minus the spots & the occasional rub up against the live rock. He never refuses a meal. I feed him seaweed, flakes, pellets, & frozen mix multiple times each day. He's got quite the tummy!
    kate

Most fish if they survive multiple outbreaks of ICH will develop an immunity to it. Tangs are difficult to treat for ICH because they have a very heavy mucus coating on their bodies that actually protects the parasites from chemicals during treatments. The ONLY way to completely kill off ICH is to leave the infected tank FISH LESS for up to 8 weeks. ICH's life cycle can be sped up by increasing the temperature of the water in a fish less tank. If the outbreak is minor and no other fish are infected you could add a few cleaner shrimp to the set up and hope the tang will make use of their presence. He may not and or the cleaners may not clean him. It is rare but dose sometimes happen.
    Like I said .. if you want to be done with it once and for all. treat the tang and other fish in a separate bare bottom hospital tank and leave the display setup fish less for at least 6 weeks. QT EVERYTHING else you intend to add to the display setup once it is ICH free.
    Rob

Is it specifically for marine ICh? Does it contain copper? Is your tank a reef tank?
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

The tank is a 32 G fish-only tank. The miniscule hippo is a temporary resident, and is the only affected fish.
    kate

Keep dosing it.
    also keep a watchful eye on it
    see how he's acting/eating
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Will the ich treatment kill the ich that's in the substrate as well, Ricepicker?

Do UV Sterilizer's kill ich if it's in the water?
    kate

On RC they had a huge write op of a product I think called ICH made my no sick fish.. Apparently you can treat the whole reef tank corals and all with NO ill efect to any marine life.. never tried it myself but heard very good things bottle is about 60 bux canadian plus shipping if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast