Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

naso tang upper teeth showing

In the past 2 weeks, i noticed that upper teeth started showing on my naso. I didn't think much of it but now i noticed that part of his upper lip has receded. Yesterday, he was breathing heavily for a moment and hardly ate flake food. Today i feed nori and he tries to rip off a piece but is unable. He usually is a frantic feeder and the first on the nori. I am really poised on what to do. any suggestions?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

its comes down to it, u'll need to take him out and grind the teeth down using a dremel or something

regularily u should feed nori on rocks, so he gets a chance to polish his teeth

don't know if RICEPICKER was joking, but thats NOT good advice. NORI on a clip is just fine. now, how big is the tank and the tang [guess you know were I'm going with this].
    also, thats sounds like some kinda bacterial infection and other than trying to catch him and medicate,[not easy] you should soak all your nori in selcon and garlic extract if you already don't. what other fish are in with him?? it could also have been an accident and if the tank is running good with no stress he/she should rebound.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    its comes down to it, u'll need to take him out and grind the teeth down using a dremel or something

regularily u should feed nori on rocks, so he gets a chance to polish his teeth
    I'm sorry.. but grinding down his teeth with a dremel? Even if that were intended as a joke, some might have taken it seriously! Ricepicker, if this were actually a joke, please use the emotes conveniently located on this site to actually SHOW that you were joking. Otherwise, please refrain from posting such absurd information.

Mike,
    What Johnny said was correct. That indeed sounds more like a bacterial infection of some sort. Feeding with selcon enriched food should definately help. However, if he's already got labored breathing and not eating, it may not be enough in time...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

oh, these things... :biglaugh2 :biggrinbo :king:

got ya... still i think typing it on a rock helps if that is indeed the problem

The tang's not going to wear down it's teeth nibbling nori off a rock. Watch them eat sometime, it's mostly bite & pull to tear and then suck back what got ripped off.

Besides tang's teeth aren't ever elongating. Triggers and puffers sure, but none of the above is known for scraping their teeth on rocks. Wearing them out eating snails, clams, shrimp, and crabs sure.

While tangs will taste anything that fits in their mouth 3 - 10 times, and many things that don't just a couple (does it fit now? how bout now?) They don't eat anything terribly crunchy & have pretty normal teeth.

If I had to bet, I'd say the tang stuck his noise someplace he shouldn't have, got injured & it's now sporting an infection.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

He's in a 135g, i did a water change and changed the lights today. The lights were on just before i started and he looked somewhat ok. While changing the lights he looked dead on his side on the sand in the corner of the tank barely breathing. As soon as i put a net in the water he swam off... weird. Turned the lights on and he was back swimming. Ok here is the situation, he can only swallow(not chew, no ripping) small...tiny pieces of food...forget about ripping off nori on a rock. I cut nori in small cubes and let it soak in water but it didn't work, cubes seemed to stick to his mouth, under palet and partially fit. I then put in flakes but he's slow...real slow not like a tang. I just checked my selcon and it seemed rancid and threw it away. I stopped using it because i give my fish PediaVit (baby vitamin in drops). I honestly dont think he will recover and that really sucks as he is a really beautifull fish. Should i keep him in the tank or end his misery in the freezer. What about putting it in a friends tank only rock, no fish no corals 225g. He just started it up 2 months ago.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

leave it until the end, you never know. there tuff fish! moving him will kill him for sure.

I hear ya, buy there is more, his tail has split ends in filaments...like hair at the end of it. also i think that something has attacked him 2 weeks ago as his sail has been teared...partially bit off. It could be my yellow tang but i am wondering if there could be some other predator that could do such a thing. Maybe a crab, something that comes out at night? any ideas? I will give it a try and keep him till the end. You really think the stress will kill him if i move him?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Ricepicker,
    Sorry if I came down on ya hard there bud. I now see that you were joking. Please make sure to use smiley faces when making jokes.

mike,
    I agree with Johnny, the stress in moving him might do him in. If there were noticable aggression between another fish, then yes. But since you havn't seen any aggression, it could be something else entirely. Could you list your water parameters, and size of tank?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast