Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

copper vs. ick medicine

my regal tang has ick and i have him qt`d and i have treated the water with a copper solution. now my question is would it be better to use a medicine instead of the copper? it seems like hes getting more spots then he did when i first started the treatment, so im thinking of buying some sort of ick medicine to also add to the water. if anyone had the answer to this god forsakken disease that would awesome thanks

Banned
    Try this stuff. It's called no sick fish. Nice reef safe stuff!

There are only two known treatments for ick that i know of. One is using copper (Cupremine by Seachem is the best) and hypo where you lower the salinity to 1.009 and keep it at that level for 6 weeks. Other methods might hit or miss. Since you've already used copper, you should get a copper test kit to make sure you reach the therapeautic level and keep it there during the whole treatment time (follow instruction on bottle) for it to be effective.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clown_fish
    There are only two known treatments for ick that i know of.
    Go to the link and you'll know a third (and it's reef safe).

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted
    Go to the link and you'll know a third (and it's reef safe).
    Ok thanks for link. Have you used "it" yet ?

I've used copper with great result and other people alse used hypo with similar success. There is also something calls "kick ick" out there and some used it with success and others didn't.

Banned
    I've used it (no sick fish). No need to qt and one drop treats 25g (but you need to treat for 7 days). In a large reef that alone makes it worth a try.

I would not add any medicine to my reef no matter how safe they claim it to be. It's just way too much risk. IMO the only sure way is quaranteen all new fish for ick and treat them properly in hospital tank with hypo or copper.

NEVER EVER !! treat a reef tank with ANY meds! there is no meds that will eradicate ich that is totaly reef safe! I don't care WHAT the product manufacture says on the lable and there has been 0 scientific proof that any of these are 100% reefsafe and work NONE! [sorry for the rant :rant:
    some people will try these snake oils and it might fool them into thinking it worked but the ich is either going thru its own cycle or the fishes immunion system might have partially cut down the ich.

only 2 methods as mentioned are hyposalinity and cupramine.
    HYPO, you need an accurate refractormeter for this and do it slow.
    COPPER, you need to test ALL the time while using this as it needs to be bang on. I really don't like this method as theres some fish that are very sensitive to copper meds, if you have ich in your main tank, you need to remove ALL fish and leave it fallow for at least 8 weeks IMO. its sucks but I'm doing this right now as we speak. I was stupid and didn't QT an ACHILLES tang long enough and now I'm paying the price. fish can have a small amount of ich at all times just cycling on and off until some stressor puts the fish over the edge.

ALSO, notice how no one lists there ''MAGIC'' ingredient! because it would be shot down in an instant. again, no known cure except for the 2 CLOWN FISH listed.

Banned
    Well Johnny thanks for indirectly calling me a fool as I've tried this product and was not 'fooled' into thinking it was the meds (yes meds because that what it is) when it was really the fish.

:rant:
    Time for my rant

The thing that bothers me is the people who say don't do it (i.e. NEVER EVER !!) when they know nothing about the product second or first hand. I just wish that they would find out more information about that product before they say don't with such absolution.

In this hobby, as with life, there will be advances. There will also be those who are set in their ways and beliefs ( :loser: ). There will also be those who try to take advantage of people by false promises. You will need scepticism so not to be fooled, an open mind for those that are true, and patience for research as some will be deluded into trying what has already been tried unsuccessfully.

On further reflection it seems that I only come over here every few months and sift through the new posts for a week or two until I get tired of reading posts from someone who can't search, doesn't know (but posts as if they do), or someone that is so set that they think they are always right (and probably thinks all tanks should have their setup too ).

I guess I should stop there as the rest of my rant is :smiley35:

Well I hope that those that are trying and need help get your questions answered. I'll be back in a month or two.... maybe.

We've poured too much time & money to our reef tank to risk it by adding a product that manufaturer claims to cure all fish desease & reef safe ? Especially they don't list what is in it ? No i DON'T want to take that chance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast