hippo tang in hospital question?

I just got my hippo tang and the day after I got him/her, The spots showed up everywhere. I set up a 20 gal hospital with 1/2 fresh salt water and 1/2 water from the display. My question is, Should I reduce the lighting in the hospital or should I do what I usually do, which is turn lights on at 6:30 am and off at around 10pm. I am treating the tang with "kent marine Expert series RX-P parasite treatment for marine fish and most inverts. He has only been in there for one day and already the spots have cleared up for now.

That is a very common occurance with hippos. They get stressed out pretty easy. Especially going from one tank to another. I'd wait a couple of days and try to let it take it's course. Just my thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

hippos are funny that way, always seem to get ich when stressed the slightest bit.
    I would turn the lights on and off as per usual and keep treatng for a week or more to make sure it doesn't show up again. He might get it back if the display tank has it.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

ICH cannot appear even if fish are stressed unless it is in the tank or on fish. fish can carry small amounts of ich without it being visable [hence the fish getting ich when stressed] ICH is in your tank. QT the hippo really won't do much unless your main tank has NO fish for 6 to 8 weeks. the best way to rid a fish of ich is HYPO salinity 0.09 for 6 to 8 weeks. this has to be done slowly and with a refractormeter. some just let the fish fight the ich but your almost gaurenteed to have reoccurences and sometimes it will be fatal. immagine addinga $100 mystery wrasse or other fisg just to have it die from ich. just adding a new fish can cause stress. so you have only 2 choices.
    QT all fish and let tank empty for 8 weeks.
    hope for the best.

well JR, I had just baught this tang. it was in the display for less then 24 hours, So I am just hoping that it is the only one with ick. All other fish have been in my display for a long time and have never had Ick, so this came with the tang and was not in the tank. I pulled the tang out imediately when I saw the spots and QT'd it. I am keeping a close eye on the rest of my stock!

if the tang gets ick from moving it from tank to tank whats to say it wont get it again after you move it to the display tank. thats one of my worries about putting my regal in the display tank

azz
    this is the third ick attack this year(something in the damn water :rant: )

last year i lost over 400-500$, this year another 200 maybe.....

i have used all kinda crap doing research and what not....they keep coming back :bawling:

and my hippos get ick everyday when they get scared......spots that would go away after sometime, sadly 2 days ago they didnt go away and they are all in qt now!

i need a new hobby i think!

Unfortunately, I also have ich in my tank; although it only affects the hippotang. If I sway from my normal schedule (leave the lights on too long, forget to feed at a certain time, clean the glass, rearrange my LR, etc) my tang more-often-than-not develops a spot or two. Generally, it clears up within a few days (2-3)... All the same, it's really frustrating. So long as I'm careful & stick to a strict regime, he seems just fine. Is this okay or should I QT all fish for a few weeks?
    kate

Azz, I'm really sorry to hear about your many losses due to ich! Huge shame!!
    kate

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    ICH cannot appear even if fish are stressed unless it is in the tank or on fish. fish can carry small amounts of ich without it being visable [hence the fish getting ich when stressed] ICH is in your tank. QT the hippo really won't do much unless your main tank has NO fish for 6 to 8 weeks. the best way to rid a fish of ich is HYPO salinity 0.09 for 6 to 8 weeks. this has to be done slowly and with a refractormeter. some just let the fish fight the ich but your almost gaurenteed to have reoccurences and sometimes it will be fatal. immagine addinga $100 mystery wrasse or other fisg just to have it die from ich. just adding a new fish can cause stress. so you have only 2 choices.
    QT all fish and let tank empty for 8 weeks.
    hope for the best.
    JR is absolutely right. It seems most people have to learn this the hard way. Qt from the beginning and ick is not a problem. Since your tank has it, save yourself alot of time, money and fish, bite the bullet and let the tank go fishless for 6-8 weeks. Follow proper qt procedures from now on and you'll enjoy the hobby much more. Good luck.