Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Powder Brown-Ich

I got a Powder Brown on December 31st and he had Ich along with a bit of a irritated mouth, I've put him in a hospital tank with Cupramine. My worry is that he never really fed since then (I assume he did or he might have kicked the bucket by now).

I did put him in a 20g and tried feeding him mysis, all sorts of frozen food from Hikari, dried morsels and clipped nori as well to no avail. he's overly stressed (he went nuts as I tried to use a turkey baster to send frozen food near him).

Should I look into antibiotics? Any other food ideas?

The weird thing is that he looks surprisingly good if it was not for the mouth. Ich seems all gone.

Any input is appreciated.

Eric

I read before on this board of people using garlic mixed with the food, suppose to stimualte their hunger.

CHeers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

If the ICH looks like it is gone it likely means that the parasites have fallen off him onto the bottom of the holding tank where they will mature and multiply. When they appear again there will be LOTS of them and they will attack him. I would do a 10% water change using water from your display if its big enough. While doing the change really clean the bottom of the holding tank. If a big water change like that is not possible at least siphon off everything that is on the bottom of that tank. As for feeding be sure not to over feed while he is in that small holding tank or you could pollute the water quickly. offer food as necessary and be sure to remove all uneaten food before it can ROT.
    Good luck with him.
    Rob

I noticed you said ,'' I got'' a PBR with ich and mouth soar. I hope you didn't buy him noticing those things. Its good to never buy sick fish. also, how big is your main tank? a 20g QT tank is pretty small for a tang unless its super small. 8 weeks minimum QT and all the other things OSD mentioned. tangs can be finicky and if he's NOT easting at the LFS then don't buy him.

Johnny,

Got him from Ivan, his 2 powder brown seemed to be affected, so I decided on becoming a doctor as I really love they way he looked, I knew full well what I was getting myself into but I was committed to heal him. :-D Plus Ivan guaranteed the fish for 2 weeks.

OSD I do small water changes from the main display (90g+100g stock tank sump) every couple of days siphoning the bottom.

thanks for all your advice.

Eric

I would also consider hyposalinty. while its noble to try to help a sick fish in most cases you don't really know how far gone they are. at leats with ivan you have a 2 week window and that speaks volumes of Ivan because no other store does that. hopefully it'll work out but sometimes the stress from shipping,to the stores tank, and then to your QT tank is to much. I prefer to put them on hold with ivan for a few weeks so they can settle in and start eating there. hope all goes well. there real nice looking tangs!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would try a two-tier approach here.

The ich cysts are a problem. As such, hyposalinity would be a great route to take provided (and ONLY if) you have a refractometer to verify salinity. Plastic hydrometers are notoriously unreliable, and even more-so in the low range of 1.009 needed for hyposalinity.

However, my main concern is the irritated mouth, which in itself may have brought on the ich and no appetite. I would try an antibiotic, such as saltwater Maracyn-1 at the proper and recommended dosage. Maracyn also has vitamin B to stimulate their appetite and metabolism.

Keep a close eye on the water quality and salinty. Evaporation will cause the salinity to drift quickly. Daily waterchanges will be required as filtration cannot be used with medication. I would suggest a small air pump to aerate the water however, and some scrap PVC or saltwater-safe decorations for the fish to hide and feel safe.

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Allright, I will do as following:

1) Hyposalinity: I will do water changes with RO Water instead (10% at a time) until I reach 1.009, I do have a refractometer. After that I will do daily water changes with main tank water diluted with RO water to get 1.009.

2) Copper: I will maintain 0.5mg/L

3) Hiding: Will get scrap PVC "cave".

4) Antibiotics: I will get Saltwater Maracyn I and follow the instructions.

5) Air Pump: Already in there.

Let me know what you think.
    Eric

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would stop the copper treatment.

The rest sounds good. Your daily waterchange should include siphoning the bottom (detritus, uneaten food, etc).
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Ok will do (stop copper), I always vac the bottom on water changes so I'm covered there. Where do you guys get your Maracyn in the area?
    Preferably east end.
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast