Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My copperband butterfly is dead

I need some feedback or opinions on this. I bought a copperband butterfly about 2 months ago. After it was in my tank it started having white spots and one morning I found him stuck between the glass and a rock. (Maybe trying to scratch himself) He was all bruised up and his eye was cloudy and bulging out. After 2 hours I finally got him out of my tank, put him in a quarantine tank and added ich medication The poor guy wouldn`t eat or move. He started loosing part of his left and upper fin. After a week in the quarantine, he started eating brine and swimming around. After about 2 1/2 weeks his eye was healed, his fin too and he was back to his old self. (Although he still had a big white spot on his fin, like a cauliflower) It was bothering him because he would swim towards the current to try to get it off. Anyways, I was going to put him back in the tank as soon as it fell off(he had been quarantined for 3 weeks) but yesterday morning he did not want to eat. He stopped swimming, stayed in one spot again and I found him dead this morning(very sad). I have absolutely no idea why this happened. He was almost ready to go back in the main tank and then he dies???? Any explanation anyone???
    125g with 40g sump

Sounds like the poor guy had a shopping list of problems.

Did you add any anti fungal and anti-biotics to the water? Hard to tell without a pic but I'm guessing the "califlower" like growth was fungal.

What did you use as an ICH treatment?

Another tip for sick fish once they start eating again soak everything in Selcon.

Sorry you lost him, my Copper banded is easily my favorite fish.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thank you for the reply. I didn`t put any anti-fungal or anti-biotics because my marine store told me not to mix medication. He told me it might stress out the fish more then anything. About the ich medication, I will have to get back to you on it tonight when I get home from work. You told me to soak everything in Selcon??? Never heard of it, what is it and what does it do?
    125g with 40g sump

Selcon is a vitamin / fatty acid suppliment. I routinely soak food in 0.5mL every other day, unless I'm treating a sick fish or I've got a new aquisition. Either tends to be stressed and additional vitamins / fatty acids are a good thing.

Mixing medications is tricky you're abosuletly right. You have to do a triage sometimes & decide what's got to be fixed first. Other times you can treat everything at once.

This is why some people prefer hypo-salinity to treat ich, you can mix in an anti-biotic if needed without worrying about it reacting with the ICH treatment.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear... These are great fish, It sounds like you did everything you thought you could do.

CB BUTTERFLYS are by no means an easy fish to begin with. they need aged tanks, lots of small feather dusters to start with and you need to see them eating at the LFS before you buy them. I've lost 2 and I took every precaution I could think of. what size tank do you have and how long has it been set up.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I was planning on purchasing one for my 90g. Thanks to Johnny Rock (JR) I will hold off for some time since my tank is very new. JR, how old should your tank be to sustain a CBB?
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Smile

this is just my personal oppion but I like to see the tank pass the first 6 month mark before even attempting delicate fish. its knowing what fish are delicate so asking here at AC is a great idea before purchasing livestock if your fairly new to marine or that type of fish. I LOVE CB but I might try again later.

My CBB is hell on pods. He sucked up all the tiny feather dusters in a couple hours and I've not seen one in the tank since last summer.

While I can (and do) hand feed him frozen mysis daily, I'm certain you need a good pod population for them. I plan to add a HOB fuge since the only living mysis I can still find are in my sump...

Cheers!

thats another reason for aged tanks. better chance of feather dusters and pods to kick start them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast