Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gathering info for a newb

I'm helping a friend get all kinds of info she should be reading before venturing into this ......hobby

If you have some good info, recommendation(s) or links etc that you think could help a newb (I don't want to miss anything and there is so much out there to think/read about) please post away

Thanks

also looking for what you would and wouldn't do again etc. there's so much out there to tell her that I don't want to leave anything out

I think the 2 biggest mistakes people make starting out is:

1) Not doing the research beforehand and ending up with an improper filter system or entire system.

2) Plan the tank ahead of time. If it will be a reef, plan a lighting system that will include MH right from the beginning. I think everyone ( including me and yourself, right Debbie) makes the mistake of starting with flourescants only, then wanting to spend more and change for MH. In my case, I even changed my system AFTER changing to MH. Also, accept the fact that you will need an EXCELLANT skimmer, RO/DI unit, Kalk unit and if you're going to plan on keeping hard/stony corals, a Calcium Reactor. These pieces are pretty much mandatory equipment.

...oh yeah!! One other thing!! Tell them to buy a GOOD dictionary that explains the word " PATIENCE" extremely well. They HAVE to know the meaning of this word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two most used books in my reef library are Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" and Scott Michael's "Marine Fishes" I'd highly recommend them.

I agree with everything Toutouche says above. If your friend is setting up a reef she will have a MUCH better chance of success if she starts out with good equipment.
    Susan

3 Tips for your friend:

1. donít use tap water....buy a RO/DI filter...it may be an expense, but you will never forgive yourself for not buying it once your tank runs into problems.

2. donít always listen to the guy at the lfs trying to sell you stuff, research it yourself.

3. and like Toutouche said.......Patience....donít rush it....as much as you want to........don't.....you will set yourself up for complete disaster

Originally posted by Toutouche
    I think the 2 biggest mistakes people make starting out is:

1) Not doing the research beforehand and ending up with an improper filter system or entire system.

2) Plan the tank ahead of time. If it will be a reef, plan a lighting system that will include MH right from the beginning. I think everyone ( including me and yourself, right Debbie) makes the mistake of starting with flourescants only, then wanting to spend more and change for MH. In my case, I even changed my system AFTER changing to MH. Also, accept the fact that you will need an EXCELLANT skimmer, RO/DI unit, Kalk unit and if you're going to plan on keeping hard/stony corals, a Calcium Reactor. These pieces are pretty much mandatory equipment.

...oh yeah!! One other thing!! Tell them to buy a GOOD dictionary that explains the word " PATIENCE" extremely well. They HAVE to know the meaning of this word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good points
    As for MH and myself we'll yes I would have liked to have started with some but when I first started out I had no support network, nobody I knew had a marine tank and the only person that did advise me about MH was N. at Nature and she told me they were $800 a piece

If I had any type of support system my current system would be totally different.

She has been reading up since about July of last year and since she's getting more serious with this the more she's reading and asking for info. She does not want to rush into anything, she wants everything planned out.

OK here's a few questions
    1) Euroreef-Aqua C - ? let's have some opinions on skimmers

2) Calcium Reactor- this isn't needed till she has the tank up and running but where - any recommendations?

3) R/O unit - she's aware she needs one, I have a decent one but considering she is not limited to the confines of a budget (let's not go overboard here ) what is highly recommended?

4)MH- what brand is the most universal-also what bulb gives the prettiest spectrum of colors

As for trusting people at the LFS she's not an impulse buyer so I don't think she'd go out and buy something without totally researching it.

ALSO don't want to start anything here just continuing :angel: I've sent her many links and I am recommending a SSB in the tank with a DSB in the refuge with Aquarium grade Aragonite.

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
    The two most used books in my reef library are Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" and Scott Michael's "Marine Fishes" I'd highly recommend them.

I agree with everything Toutouche says above. If your friend is setting up a reef she will have a MUCH better chance of success if she starts out with good equipment.
    Two very good choices. I don't think her (first ) tank will be very much larger than say a 60gal I'd like to recommend a pair of GSM to her (mainly because I'd like a pair ) but I'm not sure if this is a suitable recommendation as first fish because of their aggressive nature both towards tank mates and the hand that feeds them

I think she's leaning towards a pair of false percs because they are also so darn cute :angel:

Another VERY excellant book that is new is "Reef Invertabrates" by Anthoony Calfo & Bob Fenner. It is absolutely full of usefull info geared towards today's modern reefer and what ways are in use today. None of that old outdated stuff. There are also chapters that talk in depth about all the types of LR, how to pick it, cure it, use it,etc... how to setup refuges,different types of algaes as filtering, all kinds of inverts that are aquarium safe and which are not, common things to be wary of that often ge hitch hicked in, modern day lighting, etc... you get the idea. In a nutshell, the newest info on everything a reefer would want to know.

Ivan sells VERY good RO units here that are incredibly low priced!!! I spent doubl what he's selling them for and I didn't even have a DI section ( added it afterwards) or all the other plumbing accessories that comes with Ivan's!!!

As for the skimmer, I have never used that model, so I can't comment on it, but make sure she understands that a skimmer is the ONE piece os equipment where she shouldn't scimp on the money. Get the best ( in otherwords..., most expensive, although don't be fooled by simple high pricing) she can afford to budget for it!!!

Thanks for posting this thread Cake Fan....it's a big help!
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast