Water Conditioner

Hello all!

A question again before going LFS.

I dont have RO/DI system.....NO place,NO cash.
    Right now I''m using AQUASAFE by TetraAqua.
    What is the optimum one for removing phosphate, chlorine....

Tanx
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

That really does not even remove it.. Do you not have a water place where you can buy the 5G bottles of RO/DI water? Or does your LFS not sell it?

If not then that would be your only option.. the other thing would be to pick up the KENT MARINE " Phosphate Sponge" But once you start buying that crap you might as well fork out the cash on a RO/DI unit..

tap water and reefs do not mix. there is more junk in that water than your reef will care for. i too was at your state at one point. then i rationalized (as always). If i just lose one fish/coral (we all know how expensive they are) then it would have already been worth the cost of the RO/DI system. i still have disgusting hair algae all over my tank, and i am convinced that it is due to tap water for my original set up (i currently use phosguard to keep phosphates down). You only have a 30 gal tank, so if you're looking for 3 gal a month water changes, it may just be worth buying bottled water (either those big 5 gal bottle, or even just the 1 gal ones from a supermarket). And if you are planning a big upgrade - then the RO/DI becomes even more worth is as 1) you will be using it a lot more, and 2) there is a lot more live stock at risk, and 3) once you are spending for everything else, it becomes a smaller percentage of the total cost (another self-rationalizing scheme - some of these may also work on the wife).
    Albert
    My Photos

I just picked up an RO-DI unit from IJO.
    I finally got it hooked up, and just tested the water.
    for an example, my tap water tested 83, my filtered water from my fridge tested 71, and that's with a fairly new filter.
    and the ro-di unit, 01, but i'm also accounting that I used the same glass from the tap water to the ro-di water, so perhaps if I had a new glass it would have tested 00.
    these aquasafe units work awesome,and seeing that test, proved it to me. I compared prices... price at LFS: 379 just for an RO unit. the Aquasafe unit that IJO sold me uses the same filter cannisters, and media.. plus some of the media is actually better, along with a few other goodies that really make this unit stand out.
    plus, this isn't just an RO unit. it's a deionizer also.. so RO-DI for less than 180 bucks, that's more than 50% cheaper than the LFS. at 180$, RO-DI seems very affordable It comes with everything you need... cept for 1 thing. just some thin teflon tape cause some of the fittings may leak (1 dollar). I hooked mine up in the laundry room so I'm using the return from the washer, just so I wouldn't have to drill any holes. And think of the fish. Less Algae, healthier fish, better colours, faster growing corals...all that money you spent on your tank, skimmer, live rock... why not keep it looking it's best? and of course, better drinking water for you, and any other pets that you might have. Do you really want to skimp on that?

hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Mike

ijo
    whooo hooo TaCtIkZ!! I'm glad it worked out for you... does this mean I don't have to drive over to the other province to hook it up tomorrow? hehe

Since were on the RO unit subject.. another order will be going out for the 100GPD units within the next couple days... message or call me if your intersted.

IJO

thats exactly the same way i rationalized it. (i also have it set up in the laundry room out of the way - i even have the waste water pour into the washing machine to save water)
    Albert
    My Photos

well, you don't have to come if you don't want to
    You can come by and check the setup if you'd like

Alrha: I'd be pouring the waste water into the washing machine too... but I prefer to use hot water when I'm doing laundry