Thread: Bed depth

Bed depth

So when I started setting up my tank the LFS suggested a 2-2 1/2 depth. I did this and and have around 25 lbs of aragonite left over (75 lbs already in the tank). I am wondering if there would be some benefit to adding this leftover to the tank (36x18x24h) or whether this is best destined for the basement. If so, look for the follow up question on how to get it in without a sandstorm :coolmad:

u wouldn't add too much to it imo... couldn't hurt, but if you make sure you don'[t stir it up too much afterwards, cause with the rest in, u might get some anaerobic areas that trap nitrogen wastes.

ToX
    you need at least 4 inch to get a dsb effect, if you dont have that, it's just for the looks

sand bed

You do not need a minimum of 4" for a sand bed to work properly. And adding the rest would be fine as well. You can also keep it as you will probably from time to time want to add some more to make up for what has dissolved.
    Jason

You do need 4 + inches for a functional DSB. You do not need 4" for a functional sand bed, it depends what you're after.

The worms & starfish etc that live in a sand bed will popluate it at just about any size. But a DSB doesn't work as a DSB until it's deep enough to have 02 free zones. Generally speaking this starts around the 4" mark.

The problem is, over time a DSB is hard to keep clean and can cause problems. Thus the external DSB in a bucket. If you're considering setting up a real DSB, I'd google that. The basic idea is that you can swap out your DSB when you need too without screwing up your tank.

As to the sand dissovling, this shouldn't happen at all if you'r pH is in the right zone. Your live rock will also dissolve at the same pH your sand does so you're about to have bigger problems if you find your sand regularily dissolves.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

This actually raises another question. In the old days, I used to use a siphon to remove detritus from the aragonite bed and then ultimately went without a substrate (back in the trickle filter days). I seem to recall reading that one does use a siphon on the bed anymore - just leave it alone.

Is this true of all beds (like mine at 2-21/2) or only for people trying to create a DSB?

ToX
    well I dont siphon the dsb... I got a bunch of snails and conchs to keep it clean. I just siphon my overflow and my sump

You won't clean it the same way you siphon the gravel in a FW tank. Almost all of the work should be done by your clean up crew and the critters living in the sand.

Occasionally something will happen & you'll need to help out the clean up crew. In that case you might siphon, but only as little as needed to get the job done. You're just as likely to use tongs or your fingers.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

My sand bed is about an inch thick under the rock and between four and five inches up at the front of the tank. I've got three big bags in my 90 gallon tank and one big bag in the 25 gallon.

I've got no idea what the "best" way to do it is but I like the way it looks in my tank.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

I agree that a true DSB should be 4"-6" deep to function properly. Maybe only have 6" DSB in your sump not your display and replace it after few years if it starts giving you problem.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that