Thread: Is this Cyano?

Is this Cyano?

Its a new setup with 125 gallon with 4 damsels and hermit and snails. Water levels were fine 3 days ago but still have slight ammonia (i think some of the rock is still curing )Doing more tests today. Just wondering if this is a part of the cycle or shoud i be doing something, it been like this for a week or so. I don't use RO water. Any help would be appreciated.

ps and a tank shot

Yep, just part of your cycle.. What are your other params at? pH etc.. Once this stuff is gone, I would expect a nice outbreak of hair algae, especially with the tap water..

Have the the same set up as you do.A 125 in the wall with a 75 gal sump.Mine went throught the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago and lasted for about 2 weeks.It was set up just before christmas.
    Colesy was right.Just part of the cycle.It will eventually calm down.Just let it be and hopefully it will all work out.

jim

If you're using tap water, you should expect a pretty good outbreak of red algae and diatoms. Diatoms covered my sand bed and eventually spread onto the rocks. The only thing that can get rid of the first outbreak is time. Just wait it out. In the future, I absolutely recommend RO water. There are way too many chemicals and elements in your tap water that should never enter a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer89
    If you're using tap water, you should expect a pretty good outbreak of red algae and diatoms. Diatoms covered my sand bed and eventually spread onto the rocks. The only thing that can get rid of the first outbreak is time. Just wait it out. In the future, I absolutely recommend RO water. There are way too many chemicals and elements in your tap water that should never enter a tank.
    I live in the country and am on well so there aren't any chemicals added to my water

well water

I hope your not going to be doing your water changes with straight well water. You will certainly need top invest in an R/O unit. To do this hobby wihtout one is just foolish. NO offence intended. And if your still showing amonia, then you'll have to wait out the nitrite peak and then nitrate levels going down before your cycle is through. Just sit back and plan your additions. Patience Patience Patience.
    Jason

what would be wrong with doin the water changes with well water? I know RO water is ideal but i wont be able to get a unit for a bit.

Just thought id post my water parms.
    PH= 8.5
    nitrIte = 0
    nitrAte = 5
    amonia = 0.1
    phos = 0.5

If you can't afford an RO/DI unit for a while you could buy RO water from the water supply store for the short term. It's roughly 2.50 per 5 gallon container. It would be safer than using tap water or well water IMO.

Cheers