Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    well, i may just see you there bristleworm. The meeting is not far from my place! Looking forward to it!

There are many choices for that wattage as Zookeeper has said, also ricordia Jakets, and tubastrea coral. love the tubastrea, hard to keep and needs nutrient rich water which skimming may reduce, but certainly on my to do list.....

If anyone wants some sun, they can come "down under" for some spring sun, been over 30deg for the last week, and hit 39deg a couple of days ago, Sunray could you throw some of that funny white stuff you mentioned over this way???
    good thing I live on the beach, people are swimimg at 6am and midnight... Got to get some photo's of the fish that live in the waters, and the starfish and anemones...Shame I can't take them home.
    controlling heat with fans brings a question to mind, I'll put it in a fresh post.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

OOps Zookeeper... You already mentioned the corals I did. My humble forgiveness:imwithstu
    Can you give some info on the tubastrea please?
    My RS says that they are too hard too keep and to choose something else. What are your experiences with them? feeding, lighting, potential longevity, nutrient requirements. I believe as I said earlier that they need nutrient dense water and that over skimming can cause an early demise.
    I found a good link on them Eric Boreman on Tubastrea
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Tubastrea, or more commonly known as "sun coral", is a non-photosynthetic coral, therefore it does not need light. In order to keep one though, you must feed it. I feed mine a seafood mulch that I make in the blender, by blending it up into a "chunky slurry" (I use shrimp, muscles, oysters, clams, scallops, squid, sole or any other white flesh sea fish). I feed mine two to three times a week, by putting the cut off top of a soft drink bottle over the coral (this keeps the shimp, hermit crabs etc. off while it feeds), and then inject the seafood mix into the top of the bottle with a turkey baster.

My coral extends its polyps whenever I put Cyclop Eeze into the tank, so this makes it easy to feed when I want. These corals can also be "trained", to extend the polyps with regular feedings at a certain time of day.

The only problems I've found witht these corals is the food wastage, so you need a good population of scavengers to clean up the uneaten food. Otherwise, that food would decay and cause problems in the tank. I keep mine in a 55 gallon, and would not attempt to keep more for this reason. I'd also be cautious about keeping one in a smaller tank.

These corals are absolutely stunning, but do take a bit of extra work, and IMHO get the tag of "being hard to keep" because of this, and the food wastage issue.

As for longevity, I got mine in dismal shape. It took me six weeks of daily saturation of food just to get the polyps out. But I've had it over two years now. They are slow growers.

As for the Bonnerman article, I suspect it is a bit out of date (I didn't see a date on it, but the reference at the bottom mentioned 1996). Even still though, he is correct, in that it is a feeding coral. However, unlike many Gorgonains and things like feather stars which require massive amounts of plankton type foods to stay alive, Tubastrea can be fed much larger foods. I've actually witnessed a single polyp eat a piece of seafood the size of my baby fingernail.

Another IMHO misconception that I see mentioned about these corals, is that each individual polyp must be fed. I've never gone to this extreme, and I'm pretty sure some of the polyps on the underside of my piece rarely ever get any food.

Thank you for such wonderful information.
    You confirmed the research that I had done.
    What is the minimum tank you would suggest? I have a 30 gal. And what size do they grow too?
    The food wastage is of concern to me, and I am hesitant due to this. I don't think that my current set up will support them, I am considering changing set ups soon, after my last exam on Tues (I'm a little concerned about it as "unforeseen" circumstances intervened and I don't won't to lose my 99% grade average ), Or I could wait till I come back from Honolulu and the GBReef in late Jan... :biggrinbo :flower: :bananadan :happy2: impdaddy I'm just a little excited if you can tell (HEH)

ijo
    WOW Tiffany!! 99% grade average? That can't be easy to achieve(unless you have lots of money hehe)!!! way to go!!!

IJO

Thanks, I'm dumbfounded when I get my grades every time!!! I study when I can at work. (oops did I say that?)
    My lecturer's female.. juusssttttt in-case you were thinking......something else......
    The blonde hair fools everyone, especially 'suave' men. (Heh, snicker, snicker) It doesn't take long for them to be intimidated by me if I talk.

off topic here. But..
    I found out today that a colony of the infamous Leafy Sea Dragons is of the Pier at Flinders. (That's about an hours drives away where people have million dollar Holiday homes.)
    Guess where I'm going to Nudge (to death) my b/f into going?????????? Amazing, apparently there are underwater coast guards!!! They are about 4-6 meters down, from what i've been told. I've never been scuba diving, but I'm willing to learn very quickly! OHHHH if I only had an underwater camera and/or videocam...... I hope they are still there when my exam is over, mind you, considering the amazing speeds they can generate, I think they might be there to stay.

I've read about those leafy sea dragons. If you and your bf go, you are one lucky individual! And congrats on your grades!

thanks, one more exam for the year to go.
    I hope so much I can see the dragons, what a rarity..
    I spoke to a guy that works near me, his friend was there a few weeks ago, and said they were amazing, apparently you have to be patient due to their timid nature and camouflage as they live in the seaweed, he said he'd speak to him and see if he'll take me. Otherwise I'll go 'by hook or by crook'.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast